Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I've purchased a .223 barrel that I'm going to hopefully be able to fit onto my .45-70 BC or .45 LC sb2 receivers. I originally wanted to go with a superlight with sights, but decided that it's not too critical at this moment. I found one of these BSA 3-12 x 40 AO Sweet .223 with the snap on rings for various bullet weights and wondered if anyone's had a chance to use them on their handi-rifle. I'm thinking I need HIgh rings due to the AO Flats on it, but thought I'd see if any others did when they used it. ;) Appreciate any thoughts or inputs on this scope and rings to use. ;)
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/659305/bsa-sweet-223-rifle-scope-3-12x-40mm-adjustable-objective-duplex-reticle-matte

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
I have one on one on my 17's. Its working fine for my uses. (Plinking and occasionally shooting a vermin) I dont know how good it would be in rain, overcast days or wee hours of the day. But for nice days its worked well enough for me.

CW

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
I have the BSA Sweet 30-06 on my Handi and it works great set up for 180 gr. bullets. The rings aren't super high, I believe they are medium. I am thinking of putting one on my Handi .223. Let us know how you make out.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. ;) A buddy of mine has the Sweet .22 on his bolt action rimfire and it seems to be pretty close for him. Not perfect, but gets you close quick out to 120 yards or so. I didn't know they made a sweet .30-06, but that gives me some hope. ;) I'll report back if I go this way.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
As I grabbed the RWS Pellet rifle this AM to zap a critter in the back yard, I realized I have another BSA scope on it!! Its a air rifle 2x7 and has been on it for some time. Its also working fine after hundreds of 1000fps 22 cal pellets... (Its a springer rifle.)

CW

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. ;) Just as an update, I have barrel on the way, brass on the way, I bought out a guy who's getting out of reloading of his .22 CF bullets (20 boxes for 25 bucks!) and have stocked some more small rifle primers and I have the powder. Need to get the scope hopefully this week and dies. Might have to wait one more pay period for the scope. I have a 4x bushnell on my .22 squirrel gun, so can use that to start with. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had one on my 223 that i sold was not impressed took it off and put on a BSA catseye which worked better but kept the catseye when I sold the 223, let the sweet go with the rifle

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not impressed because it lost zero or was bad visually or wouldn't zero or knobs didn't work? Would like to know what made it bad for you. ;)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I didn't think much of BSA scopes until I bought my a K-Hornet with an illuminated BSA 4-16x AO already on it. I liked it so much that I rolled it down hill to my .22 LR semi-auto.

I found a similar model BSA with all the same features in 6-24x on eBay for a killer price so I bought 2 of them. One resides on my .22 K-Hornet and the other on my non Handi .223 Rem. I haven't shot these rifles much since I swapped the scopes around since this was all before I had pneumonia earlier this year. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm hoping to have some range time with all my babies...

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I don't know about the Sweet .223 but I've had a BSA Catseye 3.5-10x50 for several years now. It's been on everything from .22lr to .308 and has never given me a problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The main problem I had was the lens were not clear and paralax was off, sent it back for repair and was in worse condition when I got it back. could have been just a bad one, but I have about 10 other BSA scope and have been very pleased with all of them.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, had to make up my mind today and went away from the Sweet.. Nice idea, but several reviews and feedbacks I got were that the caps might get close, but weren't all that accurate. I really didn't want that big of a scope either, so I ended up going with this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-5th-gen-classic-bug-buster-ts-4x32-mil-dot-compact-rifle-scope-with-picatinny.html

I decided with the mil-dot, because once I get my chrony'd speeds, I can go to JBM and just print out a card for each load to keep in their box. This will give me the mil drop range conversions and a little more flexibility. I'd wanted a mil-dot since they came out anyway, I just don't use scopes normally, lol. ;) I appreciate the feedback, but with the great reviews on this scope and it was about 25% the cost and I got a Bushnell Bore sighter also for less than the price of the other scope alone. ;)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-magnetic-boresighter-740001c.html

Got my brass today, barrel is in route, scope in route (with boresighter), dies now in route (Deluxe + FCD) and I have about 2000 various .22 centerfire bullets too. ;) Cannot wait, getting harder not to pee when I saw the tiny brass today!... hehe

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I'm not trying to be a bringdown, but i've never heard a good review on a Leapers scope if the rifle see's any sort of use. 25.00 is about what your going to pay for a quality set of scope rings...

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Another For What It's Worth,
I've had the Center Point 4x16 found at Walmart for 69.99 on my 223 for 3 years now and it's been working just fine. (knock on wood)
It had some good reviews from a few gents here so I thought I'd try one, your not out much if it doesn't work,, but with A.O - Mil Dot - and lighted in green or red with a flip of a switch,, it's been OK.
The retical is fine enough to center on a dime at 200 when cranked to 16X

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I have a cabelas brand pine ridge with removable turrets in varying weights which are for 204, 223 and 22-250. A buddy of mine bought it new and never used it. i bought it from him and never used it. 3x9x40 if anyone is intrested.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys, the feed back on the Leapers was on the planet optics sight and a couple others and on this particular model was almost all good. ;) If I have issues they are 100% guaranteed by the Planet Optics site, so It'll just go back. ;) One a very positive note, I guess I got really lucky as the barrel made it to me today. I opened it up and it's brand new as had been stated in the ad and I tried it on my .45 LC frame and Presto- fit like a glove. I'm getting really psyched, just wish the scope was here NOW! I can be patient I guess. ;) Hopefully, scope will arrive on Tuesday and my dies are supposed to be here next week. I did find a whole cup of 5.56x45 loaded ammo from my days in the Army. Occasionally, I'd forget ammo in my pocket on the range etc, and I threw them in a cup. Going through some old stuff I found it and have like 10 green tip and 5 tracers. ::) Don't think I'll mess with the tracers, but might use the greenies just to test it today. lol ;)

***addition***
Took her out and shot a couple shots into some soft birmed dirt and no pop-open issue or ftf, so looking pretty good. Hopefully, once I get the scope mounted, I can test that out. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, don't know why I didn't test both frames from the get go, but I finally today had the great idea that if I put the barrel on the .45-70 BC frame and it fit, I wouldn't have to swap the barrel so much. I mainly use that for long range anyway. ;) Today I tried it and it fit even better. Just PERFECT! No tightness or looseness or slop. I don't think I have ever handled one with such an exact fit. Let's say I feel really blessed! So I even like the slightly longer forearm. Anyway, got confirmation of shipment of the dies today too, so by Thursday, I should be able to start loading some. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.