Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has successfully harvested a deer with a 20 gauge using buckshot. Those little .24 or .25 pellets seem awefully small to cleanly harvest a deer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
It'll bring them down but you need to get close. I shot a large doe one time @20 yards with 20ga 2.75 Remington. It only took one shot but maybe I was lucky. It took out part of the spine as I aimed high and it fell right in the spot is was standing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moxgrove said:
I think I would go for the Dixie slugs tr-ball. I hope to use the 20 gauge triballs for hogs next spring.
Dixie doesn't make the tri-balls in a 20 gauge shell. It is three 20 gauge balls in a 12 gauge shell. It looks like a great shell for brush hunting in close.

·
Registered
606 Posts
:) Howdy! The first deer I bagged was a 3 pointer with 20G buckshot. The deer was just under my treestand. It was really close. I would suggest using slugs in your 20G. I will not hunt with 20G buckshot anymore. Find a good slug load for your shotgun and use it. It will take lots of practice and many different loads to find one your shotgun likes. Consider getting a scope as well. Take care! And good hunting!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Sorry about that. I corresponded with Mr. Gates a while back and he was hoping to get he 20 gauge going once they got caught up. They do have the triball load for the 3 1/2 12 gauge now, so I guess I'll have to use the Benelli!

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
#3 is larger than #4 and we kill deer all the time with #4 .
the guys in the club that use the 20 seem to do fine .
did federal come out with a 20ga.
00 buck load we can get #3 and sometimes 0 buck .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SHOOTALL said:
#3 is larger than #4 and we kill deer all the time with #4 .
the guys in the club that use the 20 seem to do fine .
did federal come out with a 20ga.
00 buck load we can get #3 and sometimes 0 buck .
Why so much use of buckshot? Do you live in a "buckshot only" state? At what range are most of the deer killed in your group?

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
some counties are buck only !
but in some cases buck is the choice when it is up close .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts