Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea if I would be able to shoot buckshot out of a .410 Encore barrel with the shot-arrestor (choke tube) in the barrel?

Thanks for the advice...

Mark

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think it would not be a problem if the buckshot had a wad around it. I have a Contender barrel and some buckshot loads, but have not gotten them together yet.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would think I would depend on the hardness of the shot itself..soft lead shouldn't be a problem, but alot of buck is hardened these days..would be interesting to see how the loads would pattern with and without the choke tube! :?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Seller & Belloit OOO buckshot contains three .360 soft pellets with a pusher (no side petals) wad. I don't know the diameter of your shot arrestor, but at the low pressures of the .410 and the soft lead pellets, I can't imagine it would be dangerous.
They make a nice one foot pattern at 25 yards in my 24" NEF .410 bore. The five OO pellet load is a little nicer on the pattern board.

·
Registered
561 Posts
rickyp,

I certainly can see removing the choke for slugs. Spinning the buckshot though could lead to some mighty large groups. Anyone have a Contender manual handy?

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
this is right from the t/c contenderuse and care book found on page 13

" Internal choke contender models where available in .357 or .44 Magnum (discontinued) for use with hotshot cartridges. Current internal choke models are offered in 45colt/.410 ga. allowing the use of standard .410 gauge 3" shotshell. IN ALL INSTANCES THE CHOKE MUST BE REMOVED WHEN STANDARD BALL AMMUNITION, RIFLES SLUG OR BUCKSHOT OF THE APPROPIRATE CALIBER IS USED." then it goes on into how to clean the barrel

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

So if I want to shoot buckshot, slugs, or .45 Colt ammo, I simply screw out the shot-arrestor and leave the threads expossed? That just doesn't seem right, leaving the threads expossed, I mean.

Thank you,

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I shoot quite a bit of 45 colt out of mine and they are fine. the treads are set deaper then the rest of the barrel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Russian # 4 buckshot

How about the russian # 4 buckshot. think I need to remove the chock for these? Just wondering since cabelas has them on sale in their shjooters catalog and i may want to get some got grins and giggles with my 410 barrels.
Jim L

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have shot 5, 00 buck many times out my Contender with the choke tube in place and no ill effects. I use it primarilly as a very close range yote backup. I have not tried the S&B .360 loads. Those with the tube in place may be another matter.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts