Graybeard Outdoors banner

which brand

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now what brand and model of scope would youse guys suggest for my Ultra .308? While over kill i want/need an Adj. obj. for varminting and targets. im talking of Simmons, BSA, Redfield, Bushnell Legend, and the likes. Something that won't 'drop out' on me and hold its zero over time.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
muller is a good one but if your really on a budget go get a tasco/bushnell varmint scope they work wonders and their only $75. in fact i have one on my 308 right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea Mueller would probably be the best choice...yea. The Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 is shining right now but Mueller may be brighter/ FYI brighter and shining isn't meaning at clarity but top choice.

1/8"@100yrd click value, ummm 8 clicks=1" right?? 16=1"@50yrds. Everything is halved from a 1/4" value???

http://www.muelleroptics.com/4-16x50IGR.htm i likey
https://www.eabco.com/Muellerreddot.htm (4th choice of the 8 listed to order)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a Bushnell 3200 10X40 scope with the Mil Dot reticle on my 223 Savage. I like it, and have no problem putting 3 rounds in less than an inch at 200yds. It fit into my tight (student) budget, and it performs really well on the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts
T3shooter, I just bought a used, but like new 3200 10x40 from another member here for $100 shipped!! Great scope....gonna put it on my 45-70 BC for some scoped long range shooting using the mildot and target turrets to dial in the big slugs for fun!!! 10x is a bit on the low side for varmints, though, 4x-12x-16x is a better range and 6-24x isn't too much at all.

Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mueller

Mueller is definately my vote...no doubt about it. Very clear optics and good quality wormanship. This is the workin man's Zeiss!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another vote for the Tasco VAR 6-24X42MM. I have one on a 25.06. Holds zero very well, even returns to zero well after adjusting elevation for long shots. I also really like the mil dot reticle. I have been very pleased with all my Tasco scopes. Tascos are great for the money. I have however, had a BSA and a Barska, both were total junk.

Leaf

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in college T3shooter? or high school. Either way im not alone then. I have nothing against the Mueller Tact./Erat. or Tascos but $199 is too high and $89 is uncomfortably low for me. Yes yes i know im picky but i've had bad times with some scopes more so young stupidity but still. I'll save a Tasco type for a .17M2.

My own vote is for the 3-16x50AO Sportdot and i guess $10+ is much from the sport dot to tactical $189 but youse guys must know there shipping charges?
http://www.muelleroptics.com/4-16x50IGR.htm[/img]

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts
Ya didn't look at my link, did ya!! The Optic Zone, a GBO sponsor, has some other great Mueller scopes in your price range that you should look at....Jon has great prices and excellent customer service! He also carries the Bushnell Legend on your list.... And some of the better Simmons line.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=11

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
course i did :)

just looked
hmmm Legend...Mueller Tact...Legend...TAct...Legend....uggg which to choose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been satisfied with the Tasco that came on my heavy barrel 223 when i bought. It has never gave me any problems. Tasco VAR 6-24X42M. I have felt no need to upgrade the scope but if i where i would have to go with the Mueller Sport Dot 4-16-50. Being on the student budget isn't hleping this addiction. :?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got my Mueller Tactical 4-16 illum Mil Dot with burris Sig high rings from the optic zone for my .223 ultra. This scope works real well for me. Oh I even got the free sunshade. $219.00 to my door

·
Registered
267 Posts
For a low-priced scope, the Buschnell Trophy & Legend series have served me well. I also have a second-hand Simmons on a .22lr, and another second-hand Tasco on a .17HMR that have had no problems. I haven't used them on heavier-recoil rifles, so that may be where they run into problems, if any.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
here is my budget varmint scope

its a Bushnell Scopecheif 6-20x
to bad they dont make them anymore.they are a great scope.the Bushnell Trophy is a good choice.you will find there are a number of good budget scopes out there

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have 2 of the Bushnell Banner 6X18X50's on my guns and they withstand recoil very good. They also gather a lot of light and are good for moonlight 300 yd coyotes. Digger

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hate to ask a question in a post but I am curious. I have a 243 ultra that I will be buying a scope for as soon as I come up with the cash and get the thing to group. I am debating between say a 3x9x40 or 44 and the 4x16x whatever. I am worried that I may have issues with the ao I like the compactness of the 3x40 but would enjoy the zoom for yotes. Also I saw a 6x for 300yd moonlight yotes??? that may be what I am looking for hmmmm I am really interested in low light conditions and night sniping (low light=deer moonlight=yote)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts