Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put down more money on my BC that is languishing in the backroom at Sportsman's Warehouse. I did some research on the 45/70 and some of its cousins like the 45-90.

Anyone out there rechambered the BC to 45-90 or even 45-100 or bigger?

If anyone has gone to the longer rounds, what do you think? How's your shoulder?

Thanks
ZM

·
Super Moderator
51,032 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the 45-70 to 45-110??? thread. This is not good at all!!!. Haven't got the gun out of layaway and I am already plotting ways to get a second BC barrel and begin the slide down the slippery slope. Nothing I like better than to lob a big heavy bullet downrange and annoying the alphabet soup magnum crowd. Smoke, noise and really big holes. Can't get enough.

I think I may be doomed.

In the meantime:

Have to keep busy with my other toys

ZM

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Nice picture old milsurp is fun to shoot, Haywire Haywood rechambered his BC to .45-90 and its not really much diffrent recoil wise as the .45-70, Makes real nice smoke clouds when stuffed full of GOEX. 8)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well..this is kinda anti-climactic but I finally got my BC barrel back from York from being rechambered to 45-100.....good job from what I can see...now to find the time to shoot it.....I've been so busy I haven't even had time to post anything in a while... :( ....leaving tomorrow for a family reunion and then off for the 4th of July for two weeks in Dallas...maybe in August... :roll: That is if I can find time to load up all those big deep cases with Goex.... 8)

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
with smokeless loading, how much theoretical increase in power could you get from the 45-120?? Im thinking that for smokeless, the improvement in length would be just to load longer bullets, and maybe the 45-90 would be enough of an increase in useable length.

My buddy is going to get a 45-70 Buff Classic rechambered to 45-120, but may not ever get into the BP loading.

·
Super Moderator
51,032 Posts
I plan on doing a little experimenting with my 45-120 BC using XMP5744, max recommended loads from Accurate are 41-51 grs depending on the bullet loaded, but that is for a max pressure of 31kpsi, since the BC will handle pressures far in excess of that, I'm gonna work a load up slowly above their max recommendations to see what works. :wink:

Tim

·
Banned
802 Posts
I'm curious to see some chrono data using smokeless in the 45-90. It does give a bit more punch with BP, but looking at some of the chrono results it's not much difference. Maybe a 100 fps? Seems like the 45-90 is getting used mostly for 500 to 900 yard BPC shooting with max weight bullets.

I can load my hi wall with smokeless to a point where I'd not want to do it with much more powder! :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts