Graybeard Outdoors banner

981 - 1000 of 1055 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
They are not putting the stuff up for sale, we are sharing resources. They can not advertise these stands for sale, but you can share with us where you are getting your yours. Just like the the cannon link list where we share were to find stuff for our projects.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
Mike and I are certainly interested, but the very first thing we need to know is if our pal, Zulu sawed each one of those 3/4" plywood base plates exactly the same 30" X 30" square dimensional shape. What does Michael think is a reasonable, dimensional void to have within the angle iron frame at the tabletop to bring certainty of the fit to every one of those base plates? Also, an important consideration is the height of the angle iron top edge. I did a mock-up with the dimensions and weights of all components. To preclude a catastrophic, TIP OVER, if the mounted, 265 Lb., 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun is bumped sideways with a 25 Lb. sudden push, the top edge better be between 26 and 28 inches off the floor, Not More. To see all the details of this Seacoast Gun and Carriage and Chassis, and Gun Position No. 2, an approx.,30 to 45-degree downward viewing angle from 4 feet is perfect.

Thank you, Spuddy! Good show, Tim.

Tracy & Mike

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
T&M,
I believe all the bases are 30" X 30" square. What does yours measure? But we all know that huge mass of wood is subject to slight movement.
I really don't see the need to set it into an angle. Why not have the top of the table flat and just set the base on top?
It is not going to slide sideways. If you start trying to think of scenarios of how the whole thing could move laterally, it probably won't be very realistic in your living room.
A drunken sailor could fall into it and the only damage would be his black eye and possibly some stitches.
My desk top is 29" high. My dining room table is 28" high. I doubt that cool looking table comes close to that height.
Zulu

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #988
Zulu,
Mine measures 30 1/32 inches X 30 1/32 inches which is well within any saw's tolerance and is perfectly acceptable. I agree with you that no angle iron lip is required. The weight alone will keep this item immobile, especially with all the friction associated with those large surfaces. Perhaps a cost reduction could be had if the maker would just leave the construction alone and simply substitute a 3/4" thick piece of common exterior plywood for the very fancy, high priced, custom table wood with which it is shown? As far as height goes, any less than 24" would be too low in my opinion and the highest should be 30". 27 or 28 inches would be ideal. Thank you, Michael, for your lucid thoughts on this subject.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Tracy,
Spuddy mentioned that the table would not have any top. The base of the gun will sit on the perimeter of the angle.
If a piece of 3/4" plywood was used, you would see the edge of it all the way around under the base. That wouldn't look good. If you had any concern at all about this thing moving laterally on the table top, that could be easily remedied by shooting two screws from the underneath side of the angle into the bottom of the wooden base. That would be really easy to do.
If you have other concerns about the base just sitting on the perimeter angles, just have an additional strut welded across the center line of the table. That would provide all necessary support and only add minimal cost.
That thing will be a rock.
Zulu

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
Double D.,

The table as they call it or the stand as you say. For those of you who think that 27 inches is too low, think again. I am 5 Ft. 10 inches tall and the 27" figure brings the top of the Tube sights of the mounted Gun 5 inches ABOVE my belt buckle and allows me to see all the details on this large Gun easily from a standing position 3 to 4 feet away from the piece. Using the 27" top of stand figure, that should bring the top of the Tube sights up to about 44" above the floor. I state this figure so you can understand that the Gun, mounted in the beautiful Gun Position No. 2, created by Zulu, will be quite tall at 17", more so than many of you might have imagined.

Tracy

·
Registered
94 Posts
mounted in the beautiful Gun Position No. 2, created by Zulu

Is there a picture of what Zulu created?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
TM333TX, Yes, there are such pictures and they lie in the first 25 pages of this large thread............................................................................................................................but I can help you out a bit by writing that you will find exactly what you are looking for by going to page 15 where Zulu starts to show us what he created from my sketch and a few dimensions. There are a few more views leading up to page 20 where he shows us the Gun Position No. 2 in York Redoubt just east of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, in its final, completed form. Also, there are some completed Tube, Test Firing Pics, and Videos on page 22 and pics of the partially packaged Gun Position in view on page 23. There are hundreds of Tube machining and fabricating pics and videos throughout the thread as well. I am still refining the Carriage and Chassis engineering drawings at this time because they must be 100% complete before any building of those two extremely complicated structures are started to preclude any serious, time-wasting, mistakes in construction from occurring.

Tracy & Mike

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
To preclude a catastrophic, TIP OVER, if the mounted, 265 Lb., 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun is bumped sideways with a 25 Lb. sudden push, the top edge better be between 26 and 28 inches off the floor, Not More.

Thank you, Spuddy! Good show, Tim.

Tracy & Mike
How tall would Spuddy's table have be for the highest point on the gun to be 30 inches off the ground? 20 inches?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
DD,
I believe Tracy said the mounted gun would be 17" tall. To have the highest point of the gun at 30" means the table would only be 13" tall.
Zulu

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #997
BINGO!

Tracy

·
7,048 Posts
One could splay the feet a little for more stability.

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
Spuddy,
He ships anywhere in the US and is charging me $300 for the stand. I am going to let him use the piece that Zulu made when he builds the stand so it fits precisely. View attachment 248274
Spuddy,

What height are you going for?

I would like to see some tabs with holes extending inwards from the corner posts so we could put in screws or lag bolts and attach the top to the stand.

Could you PM me ordering details?

981 - 1000 of 1055 Posts