Graybeard Outdoors banner

1001 - 1020 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001 (Edited)
Double D.,

We saw your concern about the stability of the Gun and Mount, "That gun mount on a 26 to 28 inch stand is going to 43 to 45 inches high with the heaviest part the barrel on top. Stability is going to be a big issue." We think this is a legitimate concern, although we agree with Zulu that a Tip-Over is extremely unlikely. To absolutely prevent that from ever happening we have decided to add 1" thick insurance plates to the cross-over steel connecting the bottom of the legs. We will drill one 3/8-16 threaded hole where the cross-over pieces meet in the center and drill 3 bolt clearance holes centrally in our 3 insurance plates which will be 18 X 18 inches square, 117 pounds each. That will put, almost an additional 90 pounds, right where each of the four legs meet the floor. Our scrap yard can supply these 3 plates with cutting charges for $130. Someone could trip and fall against the top of the Gun and not dislodge or tip anything over with this insurance in place. Everything will be bolted or welded together rigidly when the piece is on display. O.K., just call us nervous Nellies if you wish, but we are ALWAYS Prepared for the unexpected.

For us to order, we expect that the height of the stand/table is between 26 and 28 inches from the floor and that DD's suggestion of tabs going inward 3 inches from each leg at the top be in place. It is unacceptable for us to have the top of the stand any lower; we Do Not want to be looking down on this outstanding Seacoast Gun as if it's sitting on the floor!! We are order number 3 if these simple criteria are met. Tim, could you please send us the ordering details via our email, [email protected] Thank you.

Tracy and Mike

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Hey "Nervous Nellies",
You could drop lead wheel weights into the hollow tube of the table and add considerable weight without having to look at the plate steel under that nice table.

How do you keep your loaded refrigerator from turning over?:unsure:
Face it, if someone tackled it, there is a possibility that it could tip. Be prepared!:D
Unworried Zulu

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
Refrigerators compressor is on the bottom-floor side, not the top.

I have been running around the house all day with a tape measure first looking for a spot. Found it. In the master bedroom, the corner between entrance to bath on one wall and bedroom window on the other is 32" x 34". This helps visualize the footprint. Dropping the tape to 46 inches to visualize height and things look a lot better.

Now we need to get our Maine Agent Spuddy on this and get these bases commissioned for a bulk order. Get us a price and send in deposit. It just seems like for a bulk purchase we could get a better deal.

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
TM333TX, Yes, there are such pictures and they lie in the first 25 pages of this large thread............................................................................................................................but I can help you out a bit by writing that you will find exactly what you are looking for by going to page 15 where Zulu starts to show us what he created from my sketch and a few dimensions. There are a few more views leading up to page 20 where he shows us the Gun Position No. 2 in York Redoubt just east of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, in its final, completed form. Also, there are some completed Tube, Test Firing Pics, and Videos on page 22 and pics of the partially packaged Gun Position in view on page 23. There are hundreds of Tube machining and fabricating pics and videos throughout the thread as well. I am still refining the Carriage and Chassis engineering drawings at this time because they must be 100% complete before any building of those two extremely complicated structures are started to preclude any serious, time-wasting, mistakes in construction from occurring.

Tracy & Mike

Trey,

I was going to go through this and add hot links for you so you could go right to the pictures. But alas apparently a recent software evolution has lost some of the pictures. Sorry

I did find these one. Click on the green link line and you will be taken to the page.

While going through the pages I notice there is so much to learn about these guns. And, on top of that the incredible detailing and machining skills of SeaCoast Artillery are on display. This is going to be an incredible gun when completed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks and yes, I was able to go back and see what Zulu created. I'm sad I'm too late to be in line for one of these :( Remarkable work. Very educational for someone that knows very little about machining steel.

·
Super Moderator
16,379 Posts
Trey, Mike and Tracy are craftsmen supreme. They have skill I could dream of.

If you were interested in one of these, you might drop them message and get your name on their wait list, incase some one has to drop out of the program.

I don't really know if they have a wait list but they should. And if they don't Tracy will light my email box on fire.

I will never know the true value of my gun as it will only be sold at my estate sale. I believe my kids will be able to go on cruises with their half of the proceeds.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,007
Zulu Quote: "How do you keep your loaded refrigerator from turning over?" Mike's fridge is always near the Tip Over point so we continue to place fresh vegetables into the Veg. Rotter in the bottom drawer where the fresh stuff turns to slime and, like water, weighs quite a lot, stabilizing the whole Fridge. Sorry for the graphic description, but YOU did ask.

DD Quote:
"I have been running around the house all day with a tape measure first looking for a spot. Found it. In the master bedroom, the corner between entrance to bath on one wall and bedroom window on the other is 32" x 34". This helps visualize the footprint. Dropping the tape to 46 inches to visualize height and things look a lot better.

Now we need to get our Maine Agent Spuddy on this and get these bases commissioned for a bulk order. Get us a price and send in deposit. It just seems like for a bulk purchase we could get a better deal."

We are glad you found a good location for it, Douglas. And Thank You for the Craftsmen compliment. We certainly try to live up to that lofty description every day.
Sorry, but we DO NOT have a waitlist and besides Mike would cold konck me if I established one. He swears that this Monster Project is the last of the big ones and I have to admit that it is truly all-encompassing and HUGE in scope. Too Big, much too big, but a terrific value for the owners. I am not bragging or overstating when I say that these could easily bring between $3 and $4 thousand at an after-market auction.

Tracy and Mike

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
$3 to $4 K is far short of the value this gun will have to me. It will be cherished and like Douglas, I’ll be gone before it is ever transferred; my sons will be fighting to see who gets it! At least there is Rockbuster to go to the other one.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009 (Edited)
Fredstaple, For those of us who have forgotten what "Rockbuster" is, we have a few photos here as a reminder. Believing the Italians were getting ahead of them, the British had several huge 100 Ton Armstrong Guns made to achieve parity, two for the batteries on Malta and two for similar batteries on Gibraltar. These guns were the largest rifled muzzle-loading artillery ever made. Mike and I made three scale gun Tubes and Dominick Carpenter made the Carriages and Chassis for those Tubes to bring the 100 Ton Guns back to life. These were featured at the Victorian Cannon Shoot in Kentucky in 2017.

How many historical Cannons had the maker, Armstrong, tall, with a top hat on the right and a President of the United States, Grant, to the left, under the lifting ring, in a photo with them?

A close-up of our first 100 Ton Gun on the lathe.

Dom's beautiful 100 Ton Gun Carriage and Chassis in his shop in Pennsylvania when we picked it up in 2017.

Hello Spuddy:

For us to order, we expect that the height of the stand/table is between 26 and 28 inches from the floor and that DD's suggestion of tabs going inward 3 inches from each leg at the top be in place. It is unacceptable for us to have the top of the stand any lower; we Do Not want to be looking down on this outstanding Seacoast Gun as if it's sitting on the floor. We are order number 3 if these simple criteria are met. Tim, could you please send us the ordering details via our email, [email protected]

Also from Double D.: "Now we need to get our Maine Agent Spuddy on this and get these bases commissioned for a bulk order. Get us a price and send in deposit. It just seems like for a bulk purchase we could get a better deal." I think DD wants the ordering details sent to him via PM.

Thank You,

Mike & Tracy

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I am interested in the stand as well. Please include me. I can PM you my email if easier to communicate that way.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It was somewhere way, way back in this thread I mentioned I would like to own one of these..I think I was rebuffed. Alas it would not matter, I cannot financially swing one anyway.LOL But I really do enjoy this whole thread tremendously.

Mike and Tracy are true Craftsman..No doubt there.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012 (Edited)
Here is an update on our "lost" Gundrill. You may have noticed that the mail is a bit slow to arrive these days. Everyone seems to blame it on Covid-19, but I don't buy that. It took the drill 12 days to reach Bennington, VT. After a day for processing and a day for sharpening, it was shipped back to us and has been enroute for 7 days so far! Another 5 days maybe?? Who knows. I'm in our drafting room and Mike is making sight parts, but we would rather be Gun Drilling!

Fredstaple, I think you made a wise choice concerning the stand. I will call Spuddy tomorrow evening to see if he can discuss the growing customer list for stands with the maker and then get back to us.

Carbineone1964, To write that you think that you were refuffed when asking to be included on the 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun build list is a little harsh, I believe. I try very hard NEVER to treat anyone in such a way as to imply sharp or rude criticism or rejection. We simply told some people before you and a few after you, pleasantly, that the British Seacoast Gun builds were all spoken for. We both are glad that you continue to enjoy this thread; as I have told you before, we value your input and your opinion greatly. Your questions are well thought out, indeed, and I love to answer them. You show superb craftsmanship in everything you build and we ALWAYS follow your posts, because they are so logically presented with excellent photographs.

HELLO SPUDDY:
For us to order, we expect that the height of the stand/table is between 26 and 28 inches from the floor and that DD's suggestion of tabs going inward 3 inches from each leg at the top be in place. It is unacceptable for us to have the top of the stand any lower; we Do Not want to be looking down on this outstanding Seacoast Gun as if it's sitting on the floor. We are order number 3 and Fredstable is order No. 4, if these simple criteria are met. Tim, could you please send us the ordering details via our email, [email protected]

Also from Double D.: "Now we need to get our Maine Agent Spuddy on this and get these bases commissioned for a bulk order. Get us a price and send in deposit. It just seems like for a bulk purchase we could get a better deal." I think DD wants the ordering details sent to him via PM.

Thank You,

Mike & Tracy

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah really not rebuffed. LOL

It was my fault for not joining in on one of these when I had the chance..I would really like to see one of these in person..Maybe Douglas will travel through again sometime and show me his.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Carbine,
I suspect Douglas won't be traveling with this gun. Mounted on the base, it's way too big and weighs way too much. Much too heavy to be lifted in one piece. Shipping weight on the bases I made alone was 100 lbs.
Zulu

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
I called Spuddy's cell phone several times yesterday, but have not been able to reach him as yet. If anybody has a home number please let me know what it is; Do Not Post it, please. See our Email address below. Thank you.

"HELLO SPUDDY:
For us to order, we expect that the height of the stand/table is between 26 and 28 inches from the floor and that DD's suggestion of tabs going inward 3 inches from each leg at the top be in place. It is unacceptable for us to have the top of the stand any lower; we Do Not want to be looking down on this outstanding Seacoast Gun as if it's sitting on the floor. We are order number 3 and Fredstable is order No. 4, and VA Rifleman is order No, 5 if these simple criteria are met. Tim, could you please send us the ordering details via our email, [email protected]

Thank you,

Mike and Tracy

·
Registered
414 Posts
I called Spuddy's cell phone several times yesterday, but have not been able to reach him as yet. If anybody has a home number please let me know what it is; Do Not Post it, please. See our Email address below. Thank you.

"HELLO SPUDDY:
For us to order, we expect that the height of the stand/table is between 26 and 28 inches from the floor and that DD's suggestion of tabs going inward 3 inches from each leg at the top be in place. It is unacceptable for us to have the top of the stand any lower; we Do Not want to be looking down on this outstanding Seacoast Gun as if it's sitting on the floor. We are order number 3 and Fredstable is order No. 4, and VA Rifleman is order No, 5 if these simple criteria are met. Tim, could you please send us the ordering details via our email, [email protected]

Thank you,

Mike and Tracy

"HELLO SPUDDY:

Thank you,

Mike and Tracy
Good afternoon all,
Tracy I will call you this evening. I did receive your messages. I am just checking in today. This week is the end of the Government fiscal year and I have been swamped. Things are settling down now, so back to cannon stuff. Tracy and I will talk tonight and then update you likely tomorrow on what the plan is for stands. I can tell you that it will be December before they will be started as he has many orders ahead.

I apologize for the delay.
Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018
No problem, Tim. Call anytime between 5 and 10 PM Mountain Time; I will be here wrestling with engineering drawings for this Big British Beast! Please call the table/stand maker to ask about the height of the stand top to the floor and the four securing tabs I mentioned in RED above before we talk. Thank You.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,019 (Edited)
Hey! What do you know? Yep, we finally got our Gun Drill back after expert sharpening in the green mountain state. Only 10 days shipping this time! It's a good thing that I'm not getting any frozen food shipped these days!! Mike has just completed the first of four that need drilling. He sends machine shop tidings to you all.

Spuddy will be posting here in a few days. I think he is double-checking with the stand maker to make sure we are on the same page as far as dimensions and features go before he reports this info to you all.

As I work on the last few engineering drawings, I am running into a familiar conundrum. It is the old problem of which old original, cool-looking Chassis and Carriage features to include at 1/8th scale and which to exclude. The photos below show dozens of these in two pics. If you have a few moments please tell me which you believe should be included. Please describe one or two selections and locate them as best you can. Thanks.

The following two photos show different forged rings which are used for anchor points for pointing tackle on the Chassis and hauling tackle on the Carriage. They are 5 and 6 inches O.D. respectively. Does anyone know where we could buy 1/8 scale models of either of these rings at about 5/8" to 3/4" O.D.? We have tried model maker supply firms and hardware stores, but no luck as yet.

Thank you!

Tracy and Mike

1001 - 1020 of 1055 Posts