Graybeard Outdoors banner

1161 - 1173 of 1173 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,161 ·
Fredstaple, thank you Tom for posting this information about the four 10" Guns in New South Wales, Australia. Very Interesting! Thanks again for sending that Rockbuster build document via thumb drive.

Yesterday my son came over to Mike's house to do some 12" Sanding disk work, basically shortening some 3/4" square, steel pieces that will be used for the handles we are making for the Chassis on the 10" Gun. He also helped Mike disassemble the Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press/Frame in the basement and bring it upstairs to the machine shop for use in pushing the Trunnions into the 1.500" dia. holes in the Tube. The following pics are of them reassembling that equipment so Mike can begin to turn some Trunnions and push them into place.

All of the 10In.18 Ton Woolwich Guns have reshaped Chases now and can be seen in the floor rack in one of these pics. They are all ready for Trunnion insertion.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,162 ·
After polishing the Rimbase all around the Trunnion hole and the Trunnion Ring exterior near the holes also, because it is too difficult to get those areas after Trunnion installation, we decided to get some stills of the first Trunnion being driven to the bottom of its hole on the extra Tube we made in case something when wrong. The following pics illustrate that process. Mike is getting ready for his annual trip to see his friend in Tulsa, OK, a gunmaker we have known for 45 years. They are planning to see the huge Wannamaker's Gun Show while he is visiting. Last year he made it to every table, all 4,500 of them. That's way way too much for me. I will continue to work on the applied parts for the Carriage and Chassis of the 10 In. 18 Ton Gun with my son while he is gone. We will make a video of the Trunnion installation process when time permits after he returns.

Tracy

That's it for now,

M&T

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,163 ·
Fredstaple, Tom, the thumb drive arrived in good shape and the contents are clear. Thank you so much! Sure wish that I had done the same thing to so many of them.

Tracy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thank you Tracy for the continuing documentation of this process. I hope you are both well and wish Mike traveling mercies. regards,
Tim

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Fredstaple, Tom, the thumb drive arrived in good shape and the contents are clear. Thank you so much! Sure wish that I had done the same thing to so many of them.

Tracy
Glad it made it there!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Looks like the Seacoast Artillery shop

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,167 ·
Tom, although we were never quite this busy, we did build 26 cannons in one batch once. The most common caption we have found with this image has been " Infant School" referring to the 38 Ton Woolwich Gun shown being lifted here and in the cradle in front of the people pictured here. The larger 60 and 80 Ton Guns are to the left of the infants. The location here is outdoor storage for cannon adjacent to a warehouse building, part of the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, on the Thames, holding the smaller guns.

M&T

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes, its quite amusing that a 38 ton gun would be considered an infant!

I assume that morning coat and top hat are required for all visits to Seacoast Artillery Company as it would appear were requirements to visit to the Royal Arsenal.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,169 ·
I have always wondered about the naming of that gun as well. I mean, really, what would you then call our 18 Ton Gun, a "Newborn"?

You assume correctly, Tom. You may arrive in an old, beat-up Corvair with a hood that refuses to stay down, no rear bumper, and two broken tail lights, but DO NOT FORGET your coat and top hat. They are absolute requirements!

T&M

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
M&T,

I did not realize that there were three more 10 inch 18 ton guns at the York Redoubt. Not mounted but still pretty neat.

Here are a few more photos of the gun being built by Mike and Tracy. I have a question for Mike and Tracy, why is there an arrow pointing up below the trunnion?

Nice photo of Queen Victoria’s cypher.

The following is from one of the 9 inch guns next over, about some lettering on the level trunnion side. It appears to be “S&H”; any idea what that stand for and why it appears where it does.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,173 ·
Fredstaple, We have never found any explanation as to what the arrow pointing up means or the purpose for which it appears there. An educated guess would be that it appears there to indicate elevation values if a corresponding plate was attached to the trunnion face displaying elevation values by degree or range. 95% of our research has been on the No. 2 gun in the York Redoubt, the one we are building, an RML 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun. Thanks for posting all that interesting info. Very, very nice of you!

Spuddy, Thank you for your excellent pictures posted and those supplied to us. What a help they have been!

Double D., The reason we will not be supplying any markings on the cannon we are building is simply that very little of those markings will be visible through the black paint we will apply to these cannon. Also, the application of the Queen's Cypher could easily make these cannon cost twice as much as they do presently. Bluing alone, because of the gun's weight and size would increase the cost by 75 to 80 %. Know the cost of what you wish for.

Mike has been ill for the last 10 days but is finishing up the trunnion work today or tomorrow. He is feeling much better today. He will be visiting Gary in Arizona next week, so a little work on the sights may be done before he leaves on his 10-day trip. My son and I will be working on applied details to the carriage and chassis while Mike is away.

Mike and Tracy

1161 - 1173 of 1173 Posts