Graybeard Outdoors banner
1181 - 1200 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,181 ·
Here is the second VIDEO on Filing and Rotary Grinding the Trunnion Band and Reinforce and Chase areas to bring them to the same level as the Trunnion Band.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So much more goes into these guns that you could ever imagine, they are looking awesome!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,183 · (Edited)
Here is the third VIDEO detailing the removal of burrs from the HOOKS and the HANDLE SQUARES, 3/4 In. for the 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun.

Tracy

Video link
https://youtu.be/gfldYdJy5XU

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
really great videos gents!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,187 ·
Thanks, VA Rifleman, We enjoy your comments as always.

At present we are working on a fixture that will allow us to repeatedly make the double bent handle that goes from one screw plate to the adjoining one on the Chassis sides and rear plate, eight handles per cannon. We have never made a double bending die before, so this should be a good learning experience. My grandson will actually do the drilling of the plates on our milling machine because it has the multifunctional vise not available on the drill press. When I showed him where he would be working, he said, "ON THAT???". This was my exact same reaction to seeing a series-one, milling machine at the gunsmithing school in Lakewood, CO in 1977. It looked like a monster to me and my first thought was that I hoped that I would get adequate training before I was expected to actually USE IT. I did and found it to be an extremely useful machine tool.

I hope he will enjoy it just as I did after drilling 320 precision holes with it. You can learn most of the basics of a milling machine just by drilling those holes. I hope he does exactly that. Fortunately, he's good at math and that's half the battle with a milling machine.

Next, we drill the big one-inch hole through the last large radii on the Cascabel, then we cut double tapers, making the Cascabel a wedge shape, then we drill the vent, and finally, we make and apply the sights. Some pics coming soon.

Tracy & Mike

Reactions: va rifleman

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,189 ·
DD, I talked to Kevin yesterday and we got everything arranged. It is done and almost boxed up; he will send it to my closest shipping hub to save me $100 of the standard cost, so it will cost $200 instead of $300 to ship. We always do this with all heavy loads of steel from out-of-state suppliers. Thanks for the tip anyhow; it's a good one for people who do not know.

Tracy & Mike

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
One step closer…..

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Sometime back we discussed an ID plate for these guns. Perhaps we could do a group buy and get them all together-uniformity and volume discount.. Here is the wording that was suggested.

10 In. 18 Ton RML MkII Woolwich Gun, S/N 75, Cast in 1870,
Gun No. 2, York Redoubt, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 17-17-0-0
1/8 Scale, S/N __, Built in 2021 by Seacoast Artillery Company of Broomfield, Colorado
Gun Position No. 2 Built by Michael Elledge of Cypress, Texas

"10 In. 18 Ton RML MkII Woolwich Gun, S/N 75, Cast in 1870,
Gun No. 2, York Redoubt, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 17-17-0-0
1/8 Scale, S/N __, Built in 2021 by Seacoast Artillery Company of Broomfield, Colorado"
Gun Position No. 2 Built by Michael Elledge of Cypress, Texas
Tracy how many of these guns will there be?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I’d be interested.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,199 ·
DD, There will be 10 counting Mike and I plus 8 customers. We are currently working on the Cascabel including drilling and boring the large 1.00" hole and shaping it and trimming the ends all the same length. My grandson just completed drilling the 4 holes in each set of handles for a total of 320 holes. Now we have to bend the handle rods into a "U"-shape and insert, stamp and rivet. Each gun will have 8 complete handle assys. One will be in a slanted position with no two alike, just as the originals are. So each customer can claim that his is semi-custom and be entirely correct.

If you are going to make a complete label, make it with the Fredstable addition, a four-liner. Zulu's contribution is very important to this collaboration and should be clearly stated.

T&M

PS Bruce, you should always stick around and comment occasionally too. Forget all that fishing you do down along the river. You never catch anything, so why bother? HA !

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Well my crated table arrived yesterday. I hired a day laborer to uncrate and move the table in the house. (Day laborer like Granddaughter next door.)

I must say this table is very nice and very well made. Thanks Spuddy for finding this craftsman for us. Kevin does some very nice work. The base that Michael made for these guns dropped right and fits like a glove. This is a testimony to the Quality of work of these two artisans.

Over the years we have used a powder can to give us perspective. Check this out. This going to be a big display when finished.

As to the plaque, the large flat black expanse on the front of the base seem a perfect place. A brass plaque, perhaps

1181 - 1200 of 1233 Posts