Graybeard Outdoors banner
1221 - 1233 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,222 ·
Hi guys, I'm back from the hospital with oxygen this time- more equipment and no place to put it. We are presently working on the sights for the 10 in 18 ton RML Woolwich gun. There is one tricky item on the rear sight. Mike noticed that the original drawing from the manual showed an angular keeper for the vertical shaft instead of a right angle one like we used on the prototype. This, of course, complicates this assy, but Mr. super perfectionist had to build it authentically, so we now have an angular keeper or rather a brake of sorts just like the originals did. So we are lurching ahead with 4 more machining steps including rotating the mill's head over to 42.5 degrees! I will find a pic to post soon to show you how a $1,250 cannon becomes a $4,000 one. Thank you for your continued support and prayers.

Tracy

·
7,195 Posts
Good to see you are back.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Glad you back home Tracy!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,227 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate those comments! I too hope the oxygen is temporary, it's a pain, but time will tell.

I just had to go back and see my friends at the Good Samaritan ER. yeah, just one more time, another 8.5 hours yesterday. Suddenly a large 8" rough diameter black and deep red and blue spot appeared on my upper leg. I semi-freaked and high-tailed it back to the ER yesterday. C-T scans, Ultrasound, Blood tests and DR. study groups determined that there was no blood clot or infection or bad medicine interaction and that the nasty markings were due to a self-inflicted nighttime foray to the bathroom where I must have had a vigorous collision with a door frame or wacked my walker against the wall with my leg. So, if after reading this, you are considering breaking in here, DON"T DO IT AT NIGHT OR BAD THINGS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. HALF ASLEEP I CAN WREAK TERRIBLE VENGENCE. The main Dr. told me at 4:30 P.M. that he was kicking me out in ten minutes and quipped, "You have a nasty bruise there, but nothing more - are you ready to leave?" I replied enthusiastically, YES!! I promise that's the last comment from me as to my medical condition.

I am already today setting up a pin bending location in the backyard at the end of my oxy-line for tomorrow's work.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,228 · (Edited)
Here is a mini update: Mike is still plagued by back pain and cannot yet stand in the shop for more than 5 minutes at a time. Arthritis in his back is what's causing this. He is looking for a non-addictive pain killer now. Recently, before his back acted up He started the front and rear sight holes and vent holes in the Tube. Two are done, a picture of vent drilling of the .093: dia. hole at 45 degrees is below. I have been limited to designing and directing the construction of my raised bed garden since July. No more groveling on the ground for me.

My visiting nurse says that Tylenol will be an effective back pain medication for Mike only if used correctly. You divide the max dose per day by 4 and administer it equally throughout the day every six hours. This builds up an effective level in your blood to help you throughout each day after a one-day introduction period has elapsed. He is trying that method now.

More pics as Mike starts working again.

Tracy

Drilling the vent with a .098" dia. bit. The bronze rod marks the location of the rear sight post. The vent is between this and the right Trunnion at 45 degrees.

Vent drilling.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Office equipment Gas

Lots of nuts and bolts in those raised beds!

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Sky

Filled 3/4 with rough-cut firewood, gravel then dirt goes on top. Good quality topsoil is very expensive!

Plant Automotive tire Wood Gas Landscape

My ex-wife is a beekeeper. I build and modify her bee boxes and she, with the green thumb, showed me how to plant a terrific garden. We have more tomatoes, peppers of all sorts, cucumbers, zuchinni, etc., etc. than we know what to do with.

Plant Plant community Green Botany Flowerpot

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Grrrr. under size vent holes for fuse that is no longer available on a regular basis. You can find it in limited quantities by searching google.. And, when you find it you better buy it.

Standard cannon fuse is 3mm and the rule of thumb for fuse 1-1/2 calibers.

You better stock up on all fuse as most places are in short supply.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 · (Edited)
Wow, I guess you are correct, Double D., most of the fuse suppliers that we bought from have accepted 3mm as the preferred diameter. In the past, we always made our vents .080" dia. which would handle 1/16" or 1.5mm without difficulty. Now we will switch to a vent diameter of .098" dia. We found 5 suppliers who had either 2mm, 1.8mm, or 1.6mm dia. fuse. onlinefireworks.com has 1.8mm dia. at 65 ft. for $37.49. Firefox Enterprises (firefox-fx.com) has 1.6mm dia. fuse (.065" dia.) for $12.30 per 100 feet! That is pretty cheap! We WILL NOT make a bigger vent than the current, .098" dia. because it would look WAY OVERSIZE on this gun.

Tracy

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Sorry Tracy we will always argue this point as it is a pet peeve of mine. It is both a point of safety and supply, aesthetics are subjective.

Supply if you can find a source for the smaller fuse, I suggest you stock up now. Most suppliers are low or out of stock and it is getting worse. Order now. Starting around mid November stocks will dwindle as pyrotechnicians buy up fuse to build their New years displays. US made Visco fuse.is almost not available. Unless some-one buys up GOEX I doubt we see US fuse anytime soon, now or in the future. This applies to all fuse not just the small stuff. All fuse supplies are coming from China right now.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,232 ·
Yes Double D., we know you will. But we know a thing or two about vent sizes and on ALL of our premium cannon, we always had an .080" dia. vent. As I said, that was when 1/16" dia. and 1.5mm fuse was readily available.

We have been skunked before when we bought the cheap stuff. But we will give the Fireworks Enterprises people a try with their 100 feet of .065" dia. fuse for $12.30. We will report our actual test results right here so you guys can buy with confidence or not buy as the case may be.

Douglas is certainly correct about buying the small dia. fuse right now, because those pyrotechnicians buy up EVERYTHING that is available quickly, leaving very little for the average cannon shooter.

A word to the wise,

Tracy and Mike...........................................Mike's back is feeling much better now that he knows how to apply the pain killer Tylenol. See post 1,228 above.

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Have not kept up on the thread for awhile..Hope your health issues are getting better..

If any of you have a problem with fuse..Let me know and I can likely gift some to one of you anyway..Not everyone though,,,.LOL

1221 - 1233 of 1233 Posts