Graybeard Outdoors banner
1221 - 1240 of 1257 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,222 ·
Hi guys, I'm back from the hospital with oxygen this time- more equipment and no place to put it. We are presently working on the sights for the 10 in 18 ton RML Woolwich gun. There is one tricky item on the rear sight. Mike noticed that the original drawing from the manual showed an angular keeper for the vertical shaft instead of a right angle one like we used on the prototype. This, of course, complicates this assy, but Mr. super perfectionist had to build it authentically, so we now have an angular keeper or rather a brake of sorts just like the originals did. So we are lurching ahead with 4 more machining steps including rotating the mill's head over to 42.5 degrees! I will find a pic to post soon to show you how a $1,250 cannon becomes a $4,000 one. Thank you for your continued support and prayers.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,227 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate those comments! I too hope the oxygen is temporary, it's a pain, but time will tell.

I just had to go back and see my friends at the Good Samaritan ER. yeah, just one more time, another 8.5 hours yesterday. Suddenly a large 8" rough diameter black and deep red and blue spot appeared on my upper leg. I semi-freaked and high-tailed it back to the ER yesterday. C-T scans, Ultrasound, Blood tests and DR. study groups determined that there was no blood clot or infection or bad medicine interaction and that the nasty markings were due to a self-inflicted nighttime foray to the bathroom where I must have had a vigorous collision with a door frame or wacked my walker against the wall with my leg. So, if after reading this, you are considering breaking in here, DON"T DO IT AT NIGHT OR BAD THINGS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. HALF ASLEEP I CAN WREAK TERRIBLE VENGENCE. The main Dr. told me at 4:30 P.M. that he was kicking me out in ten minutes and quipped, "You have a nasty bruise there, but nothing more - are you ready to leave?" I replied enthusiastically, YES!! I promise that's the last comment from me as to my medical condition.

I am already today setting up a pin bending location in the backyard at the end of my oxy-line for tomorrow's work.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,228 · (Edited)
Here is a mini update: Mike is still plagued by back pain and cannot yet stand in the shop for more than 5 minutes at a time. Arthritis in his back is what's causing this. He is looking for a non-addictive pain killer now. Recently, before his back acted up He started the front and rear sight holes and vent holes in the Tube. Two are done, a picture of vent drilling of the .093: dia. hole at 45 degrees is below. I have been limited to designing and directing the construction of my raised bed garden since July. No more groveling on the ground for me.

My visiting nurse says that Tylenol will be an effective back pain medication for Mike only if used correctly. You divide the max dose per day by 4 and administer it equally throughout the day every six hours. This builds up an effective level in your blood to help you throughout each day after a one-day introduction period has elapsed. He is trying that method now.

More pics as Mike starts working again.

Tracy

Drilling the vent with a .098" dia. bit. The bronze rod marks the location of the rear sight post. The vent is between this and the right Trunnion at 45 degrees.

Vent drilling.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Office equipment Gas

Lots of nuts and bolts in those raised beds!

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Sky

Filled 3/4 with rough-cut firewood, gravel then dirt goes on top. Good quality topsoil is very expensive!

Plant Automotive tire Wood Gas Landscape

My ex-wife is a beekeeper. I build and modify her bee boxes and she, with the green thumb, showed me how to plant a terrific garden. We have more tomatoes, peppers of all sorts, cucumbers, zuchinni, etc., etc. than we know what to do with.

Plant Plant community Green Botany Flowerpot

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Grrrr. under size vent holes for fuse that is no longer available on a regular basis. You can find it in limited quantities by searching google.. And, when you find it you better buy it.

Standard cannon fuse is 3mm and the rule of thumb for fuse 1-1/2 calibers.

You better stock up on all fuse as most places are in short supply.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 · (Edited)
Wow, I guess you are correct, Double D., most of the fuse suppliers that we bought from have accepted 3mm as the preferred diameter. In the past, we always made our vents .080" dia. which would handle 1/16" or 1.5mm without difficulty. Now we will switch to a vent diameter of .098" dia. We found 5 suppliers who had either 2mm, 1.8mm, or 1.6mm dia. fuse. onlinefireworks.com has 1.8mm dia. at 65 ft. for $37.49. Firefox Enterprises (firefox-fx.com) has 1.6mm dia. fuse (.065" dia.) for $12.30 per 100 feet! That is pretty cheap! We WILL NOT make a bigger vent than the current, .098" dia. because it would look WAY OVERSIZE on this gun.

Tracy

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Sorry Tracy we will always argue this point as it is a pet peeve of mine. It is both a point of safety and supply, aesthetics are subjective.

Supply if you can find a source for the smaller fuse, I suggest you stock up now. Most suppliers are low or out of stock and it is getting worse. Order now. Starting around mid November stocks will dwindle as pyrotechnicians buy up fuse to build their New years displays. US made Visco fuse.is almost not available. Unless some-one buys up GOEX I doubt we see US fuse anytime soon, now or in the future. This applies to all fuse not just the small stuff. All fuse supplies are coming from China right now.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,232 ·
Yes Double D., we know you will. But we know a thing or two about vent sizes and on ALL of our premium cannon, we always had an .080" dia. vent. As I said, that was when 1/16" dia. and 1.5mm fuse was readily available.

We have been skunked before when we bought the cheap stuff. But we will give the Fireworks Enterprises people a try with their 100 feet of .065" dia. fuse for $12.30. We will report our actual test results right here so you guys can buy with confidence or not buy as the case may be.

Douglas is certainly correct about buying the small dia. fuse right now, because those pyrotechnicians buy up EVERYTHING that is available quickly, leaving very little for the average cannon shooter.

A word to the wise,

Tracy and Mike...........................................Mike's back is feeling much better now that he knows how to apply the pain killer Tylenol. See post 1,228 above.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Have not kept up on the thread for awhile..Hope your health issues are getting better..

If any of you have a problem with fuse..Let me know and I can likely gift some to one of you anyway..Not everyone though,,,.LOL

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,235 · (Edited)
Speaking of fuse, Carbineone, we finally got our 3 100-foot rolls of .065" dia. fuse from Fireworks Enterprise after a back and forth email exercise. I think that they are going thru a name change, but can be reached at the old name currently. The fuse is packed well and comes with professional paperwork as to quantity, price, etc. It works well also, so if you want some really small dia. stuff, this may be for you.

Thanks, Frestaple for posting the Canadian stamp pic. That left-hand gun at the eastern end of the gun-line is No. 2, our 10 In. 18 Ton Woolwich Gun, the only 10 In. Gun at York Redoubt.

Mike continues to work on the Trunnion length trimming and Cascabel length cutting and sight and vent hole drilling every day. I will have some pics early next week. The vent liners called boushes are really cool looking. This four dia. part provides a continuous, unbroken hole to within 1/4" of the bore. It ends near the bore in a "V" shaped mating part match-up between the boush and the internal "V" bottomed hole which connects the liner with the smaller fuse hole which intersects the bore surface 1/2" above the bore bottom. Be sure to put enough powder down the bore to contact the vent, about 250 grains, at least.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,237 · (Edited)
Dear Douglas,

Please remember the fact that you are a highly regarded, much exalted.................SUPER MODERATOR..................before writing any more drivel like you just posted. "Several cases of MRE's to carry you over until the next SS Check", indeed. HA!! Anyhow, we aim to please, and since I finally agreed with Mike that this should be our LAST big cannon, even though it is the smallest scale we have ever worked to, namely 1/8 Scale. All my new ideas for what to make next are greeted with snorts and loud sighs and vigorous shaking of Mike's head, not up and down, but definitely negative, side to side. He keeps saying, "smaller, Tracy, smaller!"

Tracy

News on the fuse is here. We just stepped into Mike's backyard to test two batches, ah, er we were thinking of doing that, then we decided to go to an unknown location to do the testing. Yep, ah-ha, that's what we did, by gum. Sorry, there aren't any videos; too many things can creep into the background on those.

So, from the small fuse, .065" dia. supplier we received three rolls of 100 feet each, really small, 1/16" dia. fuse. One of the 3 rolls was compromised by shredding at various points along its length, where the strands of the fuse were coming unglued. I'm guessing that 1/3 of that roll is unuseable. The 12" length we cut off in a "good" area burned hot and completely in 29 seconds which is a standard rate for superior VISCO FUSE. The other two rolls were marred by occasional damage throughout their length, maybe about 10%. So, if you want to be adventurous and go with the low-cost fuse supplier, here are their stats:

29 seconds to burn 1 foot of this fuse.

$12.30 for a 100-foot roll.

Firefox Enterprises
11612 North Nelson Lane
Pocatello, ID 83202

WEB: www.firefox-fx.com

The other company, PYRODIRECT.COM supplied a much superior product. Their fuse is 2mm dia. and very well packed in 15 foot lengths, We bought 60 feet and it arrived within a week, but there was one glaring error; it was some ******* size between 2 and 3 mm, about 2.4mm. We called them and sent it back. A week later we received 75 feet of 2mm fuse, 15 free feet, and many apologies. They admitted to making this error right away and DID NOT ARGUE with us at all. The cost is quite a bit more at $7.99/15 foot roll.

33 seconds to burn 1 foot of this fuse.

$7.99 for a 15-foot roll.

PYRODIRECT
Fulfillment Center
195 Commercial Blvd.
Blakeslee, PA 18610-2443

WEB: www.pyrodirect.com

So, you have a choice, you will be dealing with some small companies here, with iffy Q.C. practices, so don't be surprised if you get some unexpected results. I figure we got about 230 feet of good, really small, very hot burning, .065" dia. fuse. So we are happy, despite some culling being necessary. PYRODIRECT shipped the wrong size at first but quickly replaced it with very good, HOT Burning, perfect condition, clean and well packed 2mm fuse for roughly the same price, $56.00

Tracy and Mike

PS Almost forgot, three samples of fuse from each batch went down the vent liner's .098" dia. hole without a problem. The 2mm size had .020" clearance and the smaller .065" dia. fuse a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Dear Douglas,

Please remember the fact that you are a highly regarded, much exalted.................SUPER MODERATOR..................before writing any more drivel like you just posted. "Several cases of MRE's to carry you over until the next SS Check", indeed. HA!! Anyhow, we aim to please, and since I finally agreed with Mike that this should be our LAST big cannon, even though it is the smallest scale we have ever worked to, namely 1/8 Scale. All my new ideas for what to make next are greeted with snorts and loud sighs and vigorous shaking of Mike's head, not up and down, but definitely negative, side to side. He keeps saying, "smaller, Tracy, smaller!"

Tracy

Sorry just doing a bit of nest feathering here. I figure in 25 or 30 years when the kids are selling my Estate, the researchers at Christies Auction House will find the comments about these things being "museum quality" and set the auction price much higher and the kids can all go on a cruise. The more we say SeaCoast Artillery only under score the top quality and high detail, and the more the future search bots will have to find. Besides being a true fact. The sacrifices we make for our kids.

I intend to pass this gun on to my kids, mint unfired. But that is only because I have no place to shot it in Oklahoma.

I have two other Seacoast guns. The much traveled Number 24 and the other long barreled gun. Both are fire cracker cannons. Number 24 has been fired and carried around the country and has legitimate wear, tear, scuffs and scratches. The other has nothing but a layer of dust which is remove once a year whether it needs or not and sits on the shelf unfired. This is where it has sat since it came in the house. These guns are special. I can not wait until this one is ready. Still hoping for serial number 24, but know it will be the last serial number of the production run.

Oh yes I am SUPER, aren't I.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,240 ·
Little Seacoast, you are welcome for the research; we enjoy doing it. Fuse from Lady Finger firecrackers sounds like a viable alternative to purchased fuse. I remember sitting on your front porch shooting the #3 prototype of the long tube version of that Firecracker Cannon. That visit was terrific fun!!

Double D., Sounds like a plan for the future similar to mine. I'm glad you mentioned Firecracker Cannon #24. I don't think you really know how very, very, very much Mike and I appreciated that cannon's travels with you as you met countless GBO members across this great nation of ours. There isn't any amount of jabs, barbs, untoward comments, etc. about us that you could possibly utter that would change the level of appreciation that we have for all those travels that #24 took with you.

Although we are only making 8 of these for customers, plus two others for Mike and I, called Proto #2, mine and Shop #1, Mike's, we will mark yours with whatever S/N you want as a courtesy. Let us know, 8 or 24.

Mike & Tracy

1221 - 1240 of 1257 Posts