Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Photos, Discussion on Bore size Shooting & schedule

First, lets see some photos so we know what to expect if we decide we like this 12 Inch Coast Defense Mortar M1890 A-1. The first three of these pics are from our 2014 Cross-Country Cannon Finding and Research Trip #16 in 2014 and were taken in a Mortar Pit in Battery Laidley at Fort Desoto near St. Petersburg, Florida.

Sorry fellas, the bore stays at 5/16" dia. for crackers due to mainly Safety factors and Liability concerns. Maybe I can talk Mike into a career capper project? How would you direct fire guys like a 1/8 scale, 12 Inch Disappearing Rifle M1886 Carriage M1896 ?!! The cost would be about 4 or 5 times what this one is, but the COOL FACTOR would be there in spades!! Besides, I have been looking for an excuse to buy a 1.500" dia. gundrill and reamer so I can build an early war, 1/2 scale rifled bronze six pounder M1841!

Gls, maybe 4.5"dia.?

GGaskill, About 6 months should do it, research throughout Oct. incl. technical drawing issues that arise and proto build to end of Dec. and then production to sometime in April-May.

Sorry Kevin, No. 7 has been promised to a friend; 115 is your SN and has been officially logged. Thank you for your order.

Gregowen, Thank you for reserving one of these unique mortars and we will be awaiting your SN decision.

So far we have found 46 images, half of which are new to us. Enjoy these few, there will be many more as this project shifts into production mode.

Mike and Tracy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Number 11

Can you please reserve #11 for me if it has not already been requested? Jeff in Florida - I purchased the #11 M1876 Krupp gun.
If #11 is spoken for then you can just put me down for the lowest production number available.

·
Super Moderator
16,286 Posts
Been on a Road Trip to northern Alberta for Moose hunt, just got access to internet and find this thread that started in midsentence and made very little sense. Looked around figure out the detail were in another thread. I have split out and merged the pertinent posts so this whole thing is on one place and makes sense.

So I assume as usual i t get the cap out number 24.

Since i am in Canada, I will get you $340 Beaver Busk ASAP!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tracy,
I would love to have #1 reserved for me please. I love these builds and the information that goes along with them. Thank you for the opportunity to own another Seacoast Artillery piece.
Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is this going to have the base with the Azimuth scale on it with the ability of the piece to rotate within the base?

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Sorry fellas, the bore stays at 5/16" dia. for crackers due to mainly Safety factors and Liability concerns. Maybe I can talk Mike into a career capper project? How would you direct fire guys like a 1/8 scale, 12 Inch Disappearing Rifle M1886 Carriage M1896 ?!! The cost would be about 4 or 5 times what this one is, but the COOL FACTOR would be there in spades!! Besides, I have been looking for an excuse to buy a 1.500" dia. gundrill and reamer so I can build an early war, 1/2 scale rifled bronze six pounder M1841!
I'm a big fan of Sea Coast Artillery in all forms!!! If a 1.5" rifled shooter, then the 12 inch disappearing rifle is for me.
Under the odd but true category, unlike functional CW artillery, firecrackers are deemed unsafe in VA and not to used by mere mortals.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
I'm a big fan of Sea Coast Artillery in all forms!!! If a 1.5" rifled shooter, then the 12 inch disappearing rifle is for me.
Under the odd but true category, unlike functional CW artillery, firecrackers are deemed unsafe in VA and not to used by mere mortals.
Ditto! Republic of Kalifornia also frowns on firecrackers. I'd buy a 12 inch disappearing rifle in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
The old style Endicott Period, Abbot Quad Mortar Pit

Before we get to acknowledging new orders and commenting on possible future cannons, lets take a look at the world of the Endicott Period Mortarman's working conditions. First the noise must have been terrible. Hearing protection was, of course, non-existant back then. I watched a movie clip of operations in an old style Abbot Quad Mortar Pit with four(4), 12 Inch Coast Defense Mortars in a space only 40 X 50 feet!! It looked chaotic, at best, very dangerous at worst. The noise was the least of your worries. Your situational awareness had to be perfect or you would lose some toes as a 1,200 Lb. shell cart ran over them or lose some fingers as the Breech Block was thrown closed. Not one of those crews bothered to protect their ears upon firing of the mortars, they were thinking of how to avoid getting squashed!! Later in the period, but before WWI, the 3 mortar and then the 2 mortar pit opened things up and made operations a lot safer.

There was but one saving grace in being a Coast Defense Mortarman, you could maintain your positive self image much longer than ordinary folk, because you never heard any nasty comments spoken about you behind your back!

These pics were a real eye opener for Mike and I, we hope you like them as well.

Mike & Tracy

Normal loading and firing operations underway here. There was Organized Chaos before and utter Pandemonium after the Mortar Firing starts. Everyone runs to reach their designated position in time. 1,200 Lb loaded Shell carts crunch over fresh sand blown in the the battery overnight, despite vigorous sweeping the night before. Look at the Rammers at the ready still 20 feet from the breech of the far tube. Men shout, "Look out!!!" "Whoa!!" "STOP!!!" but nobody hears them as they lurch and weave their way through the CHAOS. The men running with the primers are sweating too; they look worried as they wonder if the girls on the detonator line in the Arsenal remembered to put some sawdust in the pasteboard primer pack to keep the primers tight and separated.

Abbot Quad Mortarmen going to work.

Close quarters!

Two Mortar Pit. That's better!

A two Mortar Pit means More room for Shell Carts AND Mortarmen in Fort Flagler.

12 Inch Coast Defense Mortar Firing in Pit -A- of Battery Cushing

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Orders are acknowledged and Thank You(s) given.

Kevin Rohrer, You have a good eye, Kevin and you are correct, it sure looks like one!

JFKaboom-69, No. 11 is yours and has been officially registered. Thank you for your order.

Double D. Thanks for updating this thread. Sorry to tell you this, but I told everyone they could have any SN they wanted except those taken already, so Kevin Rohrer
indicated that he wanted SN 7, but I told him that one was promised to a friend, so he said SN 115 was his second choice and I said , fine 115 is registered to you. you are welcome to have SN 24 as usual or to pick a completely different one if you prefer. SN 24 is registered to your name until you tell me otherwise. Thank you for your order.

Hunting Moose, eh? Bullwinkle's not going to like that! I have several interesting Moose hunting stories to tell, but even more interesting, is the one about a Canadian with whom I worked years ago in the People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado. Stewart was a smart young man who was studying at the university in boulder, majoring in history and government as I recall. He was as liberal as they come, but was not the "In your Face", type of liberal so we had some pleasant conversations. He was good with math too, so I did not have to check his work as an inspector, I knew he already double checked it, himself. One day things were a bit slow and National Hunting and Fishing Day was rapidly approaching. Although he was no hunter, he was a good cartoonist, so he drew his version of Opening Day for us in the QC Lab. There was a large pit in the center with three hunters at its bottom with rifles at the ready. All around the rim of this crater were about 40 rabbits all armed with double barrel shotguns, all aiming down at the hunters. The title was: "My Vision of Opening Day of Rabbit Season!"

Well, this could not go unchallenged of course, so we called upon our best artist/inspector in the lab, Jeff to draw what I imagined would be a good challenge cartoon. I drew the simple stuff like a shack with a sign on it which read: 'Stewart's Baby Harp Seal Sales'. Jeff drew about 25 dead harp seal bodies piled up in front of the shack, all with little Xs where their eyes should have been. Needless to say there were no more hunter bashing cartoons coming from the Canadian! A successful comeback, eh?

Holdoff with the Beaver Bucks, DD. Wait till you return to the land of the inflated dollar; BYW it's $349 plus shipping, don't you know. eh?

Spuddy! Nice to see you are checking us out occasionally. There will be no azimuth scale or swivel plate at this price point, Tim. We already have promised too much, Mike fears. Trying to allay his concerns, I said, "I'll just work faster". Then he says, "what, are you going to rev up to tortoise speed?" "Hey, hey" says I, "Maybe".

SN 1 is officially registered to you. Thank you for your order. Thumbs up on 12" Disappearing Rifle duly noted.

VA Rifleman, Don't hold us to a particular bore size already. I can tell you this, it will be bigger than our normal 1.000" or 1.067" Dia.. But it may be 37mm which is a little smaller than 1.500", being right at 1.457" Dia. Don't forget, if this one is attempted, it will be a 1 to 1.5 year build adventure. There are so man details on these that I boggles the mind. Lots of casting too, which must be made as castings or they won't look right or if completely CNC machined, would blow the budget out of the water for sure!! No firecrackers? We are wusses in Colorado too and in Broomfield where both Mike and I live they don't even allow sparklers!!! Most people ignor these ordinances though; there are plenty of noisemakers on the 4th of July, but not at the cannon makers homes or shop location. Those areas must be the quietest in the County!

Ex 49er, What, a crackerless 4th for you too?? Hey, Hey! Two thumbs up for a future Disappearing Rifle!! Yahoo!

That's it for now, guys.

Tracy and Mike

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
More Pics and volumes of technical info about these mortars

First the list so SNs can be known.

Ex 49er......................6
Gls............................14
Va Rifleman.............10
Beazld.......................8
Kevin Rohrer............115
Gregowen..................Need a SN from you, Gregowen
JFKaboom-69...........11
Double D..................24
Spuddy.......................1
Promised....................7

We plan on making 15 to 25 of these with 5 reserved for Colorado Gunshow Sales, so there is still room on the list. Remember what happened the to the first of these Firecracker Cannons and the owners of the Krupp Howitzer M1866? Two were sold subsequently on Ebay as signal guns and the $250 purchase price ballooned to $625 and $667. Pretty good investment I would say!!

The photos are next.

Tracy

Some interesting Muzzle Face Markings.

12 Inch M1890 A-1 Mortar in Battery Clark in Fort Stevens courtesy of the Coast Defense Group
Look at those impressive Elevation adjustment Hand Wheels; you will get both of them on your mortar.
That Long Range Mortar Tube was capable of shooting 700 Lb. HE Shells 8.3 Miles with a Zone 9 powder charge.

The heaviest projectile normally used, the 1,046 Lb. Deep Penetrator for Battleship Deck piercing. It could pierce 6 Inches of Battleship Deck Armor Plate at 6 Miles! This Deep Penetrating Shell was over 4 Feet Long!!

12 Inch steel Mortar M1890 A-1.......technical data.

Technical Data continued:

There are still slots available on the list, will you join us by reserving your very own, 12 Inch Coast Defense Steel Mortar M1890 A-1 before it's too late. There will not be a second batch of these robust mortars made. These things are heavy, up to 25 Lbs. each with the supporting, Traversing Plate. This is your only chance to buy a genuine Seacoast Artillery product until 2019 if we are still making cannons at that late date????

To those already on this important list, Thanks for your business!

Mike & Tracy

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Thank you Tino!

Onit12345, You are correct, SN 2 is available. Tino, SN 2 is officially registered in your name. Thank you for your order.

I believe we know what gave you the little nudge that you needed to change you from a "wantahave" to a gottahave! For once (and I want new management credit for saying this), I have to agree with the practice of interjecting ads in between photos or in between blocks of text in any given thread. The new GBO management made the Mortar that we are selling look even bigger than it really is by parking a Jaguar car next to it in the mortar pit. Think I am kidding? Check out the photo below.

Tino, upon seeing this image online, said to himself, "Wow that seacoast mortar is Gargantuan; boy oh boy, any day I can buy a Saturn 5 sized Coast Defense Mortar, even at 1:20 scale, for only $349, it's gonna be a HUGE VALUE for me!! " We think your logic here is spot on, Tino, it looks pretty darn BIG to us as well! THANK YOU.

The best management modified, photo ever!!!

21 - 40 of 99 Posts