Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my BFR 454 casull. All I’ve fired out of it are factory 45lc so far. I’m looking for bullet/powder recommenations for big game

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Back when I was shooting the .454 in my FA83 and Taurus Raging Bull guns I mostly used the Sierra 300 JSP and a 325 grain bullet I cast up in a Lyman mould. I think it was 452651 but that's from memory and these days it's not as good as it once was.

I used H110/Win296, both are the same powder. I won't give the loads as I'd be going from memory and that's not good enough. I used a max book charge in both cases, you can easily look it up in most any loading manual.

Bob Baker sent me a large supply of the FA brand 260 and 300 JSP bullets and I used a lot of those also. They had already been discontinued by them at that time so he sent me 1000 of each I think. They were as good as you'll ever find for the .454 but haven't been offered in a bunch of years.

I also used some of the Hornady XTP bullets in both of the magnum weights again over max book charges of same powders.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm a mid range power fan for the .454 from a revolver. You can load more power than a 44 mag or choose a lower velocity load that's not punishing to shoot 50 rounds. Titegroup is my preferred powder. Here's a link to Hodgdon's website where you can get the specific information:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I started with the Cast Performance 260gr RF and quickly switched to the Lee 300gr. For anything in our woods and elsewhere that bullet weight in a cast solid or heavy jacketed rolling along in the mid 1500fps range has taken a toll on game like hogs and deer.

I really like AA-9 for powder, it meters great and provides consistent velocities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts