Premium Member
5,138 Posts
That is for sure

Deaconllb

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i used the foiled filled pouches bags while on the road to make a sandwich

The Boston.com news site explains that canned tuna requires a higher temperate for proper processing than tuna in a pouch. Tuna pouches are made from the same foil and polymer film as military "meals ready to eat," and heat penetrates this thin material more quickly. Canned tuna needs added water to block out air inside the can. No water is added to tuna pouches, although you find some liquid inside that comes from the fish itsel
https://www.livestrong.com/article/448976-comparison-of-pouch-tuna-vs-canned-tuna/

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You should try Polar brand, they do the best canned fish there is - tuna, sardines, herring, etc.
By far and away the best canned fish I've had.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I like canned tuna and have it regularly for fish burgers and tuna salad. I never thought much about different brands. But I do pay attention to different types of meat. For example the expensive solid white is the least desirable to me because it's not that good for what I use tuna for. I do like the cheap "chunk light" kind.

Full disclosure:
For tuna salad, I like it packed in water
For fish burgers, I like it packed in oil (it makes a big difference. mmmm.)

I've seen the same better-brand lesser-brand comparisons with sardines, where, for example, premium brands like king Oscar are favored. I've been happy with the least expensive ones. I tried king Oscar. Good stuff, but not worth the extra money.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Now comes the question of other canned fishies:

Jack Mackerel and canned salmon. Where do you stand on those?

I like jack mackerel because it's cheap and it mixes well with oatmeal so I can make chum to use while fishing. (Chum is stuff you put in the water to attract little fish. The little fish attract bigger fish, and you catch the bigger fish.)

Canned salmon varies wildly in quality. I can't remember which ones I liked better when I tried a few, but there's two basic kinds: cheap and expensive. Expensive has something like "Alaska wild" in the type name. It's better, but I gave up on it because tuna is a better value.

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should try Polar brand, they do the best canned fish there is - tuna, sardines, herring, etc.
By far and away the best canned fish I've had.
I haven't ever seen that brand in our stores or i would have tried it.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Another bumblebee man. In water. With a little onion and pickle, best there is on Texas toast. Had to get that Texas part in for Conan.

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another bumblebee man. In water. With a little onion and pickle, best there is on Texas toast. Had to get that Texas part in for Conan.
Texas toast is great with spaghetti. I like it better than that French bread stuff, it's kinda girlie lol.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I see Polar once in a while, convenience stores, dollar stores sometimes, never thought of it as premium. I appreciate the knowledge, bumble bee as well, seemed too un-tuna-ish a name to be serious tuna, always thought Chicken of the Sea was the best, Starkist had the best commercial and mascot.

The last sardine in mustard sauce i opened only had 2 sardines, will try that brand again just in case it's a fluke (Chicken of the Sea)
Are standards being lowered?
40 years ago the U.S. Federal made the code so less that 1/2 of a can of ham can be ham.
I wonder if the dying seas is coming soon, fukushima is enough to do it.
best wishes

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A lot of your sardines come from the North Atlantic waters. It's one of Icelands main exports.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Great to know, i've heard Spanish sardines have the most tuna like flavor.
Are your sardines still packed tight ? I heard it was because the sardines were cheaper than
the oil they put on them.

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great to know, i've heard Spanish sardines have the most tuna like flavor.
Are your sardines still packed tight ? I heard it was because the sardines were cheaper than
the oil they put on them.
I've never had the Spanish i didn't know there was such a thing. I've only had the Norway and Iceland.
Not a nickels worth of difference between the two country's they are still just a bunch of Mojacks lol.
That's what our military up there called them. Then we were ordered to stop doing that.

Iceland would dump a mound of them on an old runway right by our armory to rot for awhile, the stench was
horrible down wind. Then they would scoop it all up and sell it to cat food company's. They made a lot of
money by doing that.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
There is one thing I’m not doing. That is eating any canned fish from China. And for danged sure no more oysters, the thought of eating something dredged up from the coast of China makes me shudder.

I’ve more trust in any number of third world countries than I do China.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Starkist for me in water, only use oil when I hike in for the calories or want to use the oil for cooking...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts