Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today and bought a Bushnell Sportsman 4x12x40. I mounted it on my 243 and plan on sighting it in tomorrow morning with Winchester Super X 100 grain power points. Have any of you used this scope? What do you think of it? It only cost me $70.00 plus tax at Walmart. I hope I did not make a mistake. Ps Deer season starts here in Pa on Monday. I hope to get my first Deer. Dale

·
Registered
749 Posts
Dale
a bit of advice. when you zero the rifle if you do it on 4x leave it there some of the less expensive variables will shift point of impact when you turn up the power. Your scope might not but I have seen it, I have a 3x9 that came on a Savage 340 I bought years back and it dose not have that problem
Good Luck & Good Hunting

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Bushnell Banner that did that. Thanks Dale

·
Registered
373 Posts
dale
if you mean the 4-12x40 adj oblective i have one on one of my hornets. i do like it but i still plan on swapping it out next year for something else. the 4-12 will probably go on one of my wifes guns. good luck sighting it inand hope a nice one walks past you stand monday.(hope a nice one walks past mine too.)

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember guy's you have to look out for those Dale deer!!!!!!!!!! :eek: rbergum95 yes that is the scope I bought. I hope it turns out to be an ok scope. I have not had good luck with cheap scopes. Dale

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I've had one on a .223 Ultra for about four years. I leave it on 6X. No problems to date. I find it to be very clear and adjustments accurate and true.

I like the Sportsman line. The majority of my scopes are Banners, but I have a few Sportsman's that I think are clearer than a couple of the Banners. I've never had a problem with either line.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have two of them. One on a Handi .17 HMR and one on a Handi .223. Have had no problems with either of them. Not sure I would like it on a deer rifle because of the AO. You can really tell a lot of difference in clarity when the AO is not set at the target distance. I wonder if this is a special scope made for Wal Mart since the Bushnell site doesn't list a 4 x 12 x 40 AO until you get up to the Trophy line. I have 7 Bushnells including Sportsman, Banner, Trophy, and Elite 3200 and never a problem with any of them. Good luck with the deer.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Just set the AO at 100yds and leave it, just like any conventional big game scope is preset, unless you get a shot at a known distance and have time to play with it. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I agree; set your AO up for 100 yards, set your power to 4X or 6X sight it in and leave all the settings alone. After deer season you can play around with different power settings to see if it shifts the impact point. I have found that with cheaper scopes the impact point shifts when you turn the power up or down and it does not always return to the original zero even though you return it to the same power setting. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
greenjeans said:
I have two of them. One on a Handi .17 HMR and one on a Handi .223. Have had no problems with either of them. Not sure I would like it on a deer rifle because of the AO. You can really tell a lot of difference in clarity when the AO is not set at the target distance. I wonder if this is a special scope made for Wal Mart since the Bushnell site doesn't list a 4 x 12 x 40 AO until you get up to the Trophy line. I have 7 Bushnells including Sportsman, Banner, Trophy, and Elite 3200 and never a problem with any of them. Good luck with the deer.
I believe so. When I bought mine I contacted Bushnell and spoke to a very nice lady. She took the model number and identified it as "model-specific" scope to be sold through a "major" retailer. She added that her information didn't identify the retailer, but that retailers can specify a particular product and request certain features.

Over the past couple years Bushnell has expanded the Sportsman line. I think they now offer one with a 50mm AO.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes, it is a made for sale at Wal-Mart. Our number one (by sales) scope at my store, Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 being number two. Bushnell shows 3" eye relief and multicoated optics. Sportsman is Chinese made Bushnell.

We sell a lot for rimfires mainly. I would think that it would be okay for 243. For $70 I would have gone Banner 3-9, but you get what is available sometimes.

Quick told me about putting address labels (or electrician tape) inside rings to keep a grip on the glossy exterior (very shiny like my Trophy). I pass this info on to customers when they seem receptive.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never heard of electric tape or an address label being used before. Am I going to have problems having this scope staying put with the glossy surface? Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
You're never too old to learn something new Dale!! ;D If you buy standard Burris rings, they come with what they call friction tape to put inside the bottom ring, it's nothing more than pressure sensitive paper, just like an address label! :D It helps prevent ring marks and scope slipping in the rings.

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got one in 3-9X32 I've swapped it around on 22's and stuff and its on my 243 now. Had some hammer clearance problems but thats all fixed. I leave mine on 7 and it works fine. For the price I don't feel you can go wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts