Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son put out the word he was interested in a scope for his 17th Birthday Party, so his two cousins each presented him with two inexpensive 3-9X40mm scopes for his Marlin 336C 30-30 Winchester.

Granted, these scopes are bottom of the line models and can do the job, but we must keep one of them with funds being tight at the moment.

Question:

Which scope is better - Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope? Ability to handle recoil with consistent crosshair reliable is our first priority; clarity is second.

·
Administrator
26,089 Posts
Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope

I've tested some of the Bushnell Sportsman scopes and while near the bottom of the Bushnell product line up it's a solid scope for the money. I'd sure chose it over any Simmons much less a bottom of the line one. In fact any time I get a Simmons on a used gun I buy I take it off and throw it away so no one else will ever be saddled with it again.

·
Registered
53 Posts

i have to agree with graybeard on this on. ihave had simmons 8 point and it was trash. i bought a bushnell sportsman 3-9-40 and loved it . was bought for a deer rifle and the sold rifle and kept scope. ended up putting it on my 223 and shooting .75 groups at 100 yards with this cheap scope. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts

I have
3 bushnell scopes ranging from banner to elite 3200
2 tasco one is a prong horn and the other is ? 4x
and I have 1 simmons.
I love the bushnell scopes never had any troubles with them.
the tasco 4x has a broken cross hair but never had any troubles with the pronghorn and it sits on a Knight lk93 muzzle loader

The simmons I can find nothing about it. I got it as part of a package deal on my encore set up. it sits on a 26' 209x45 encore barrel. I have yet to shoot that barrel.

Graybeard if you get any more of them simmons that you are putting in the round file, let me know I wil be happy to pay shipping. I alwyas like to have some scopes sitting in my closet, never know when you may need one for some reason :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts