Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to purchase a pistol barrel for my Encore.
Will use this for deer/bear hunting.

Best choice ...

45-70
30-30

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
All three will work, just pick the one that you think you will shoot the best. I always go with one I have experience with. :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you reload you might want to consider a barrel chambered in 445 supermag.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

Punisher

I want to say first off i'm not predigest but i think the 45-70 would do you a good job, Just kidding any one of the three should work fine.............Joe..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 45-70 Contender that I use for deer. I have an Encore frame and sometimes consider getting a .454 barrel for it. But then again the 45-70 has worked well for me and I think "why?", the .454 couldn't work any better.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am curious? What kind of load do your use with a .45-.70 contender? Do use the same round you would use for a rifle or do you have it handloaded with lees powder?

I can shoot a pistol gripped shotgun like a pistol, but the thought of a .45-.70 makes my wrists hurt!

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
RedRyder21 said:
I am curious? What kind of load do your use with a .45-.70 contender? Do use the same round you would use for a rifle or do you have it handloaded with lees powder?

I can shoot a pistol gripped shotgun like a pistol, but the thought of a .45-.70 makes my wrists hurt!
You don't want to reload in the Ruger #1 Load data. Stay in the trapdoor range or the light side of the Marlin load range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All of the calibers you post are great deer rounds. Personally
i like the 454 as I like the bullet diamater and would not feel under powered shooting most anything.

Depending on if you reload or not, I would choose the lighter loads in the 45-70. as it may be a bit punishing for a deer or black bear. The 350 grain 1895 loading will completely penetrate a mature Alaskan bull moose, breaking both shoulders!

be careful and double check

·
Registered
12 Posts
RedRyder21 said:

I load 59grs. of Accurate 2015BR behind a 300gr. Hornady JHP for 1600 fps from a 12" Contender barrel. This same load does about 1860fps from a Marlin Guide Gun.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
rickyp said:
can you use the Ruger #1 Load data for the encore handuns?
I suggest you call T/C on that one. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts

I cast my vote for 454. I am not an Encore owner/shooter, but I would gather that it would have the flexibility like others chambered in 454...shooting 45 Colt.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun Hunting

Keoni

Seem to me that load would tear some thing up that it wasn't ment to be torn up !!!!!

............Joe............

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
RedRyder21 said:

On another forum, I mentioned that I had shot a T/C .45/70 with one hand and got a reply that I must of shot whimpy factory loads and to try his, which must of been a real wrist wrench? Factory is not whimpy in one of these things, believe me.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: .30-30 with a 1 in 10 twist. Accurate, efficient, and easier on the body.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Hornady manual shows loads for the 45/70 in a t/c Contender and if you match them up they are equal to there trap door loads. with some loads at start to mid lever action loads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm with BIM On This One

I like efficient cartrdiges and 7mm's are very efficient. Unless you like wild recoil, you can get this job done with less than 45-70 or 454; the latter out of an Encore...well, it eliminates the need for a cup of coffee to wake you up.

The 7-30 Waters or 7-08 are great cartridges and plenty up to the task with proper loads. Unless your after big bears with a hump between their shoulders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts