Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of this wildcat but never saw a rifle so chambered before yesterday.

Its a pre 64 M 70 win rebarreled to 375 Whelen. Stock is some sort of reworked unit with the comb and cheek piece repaired or built up with some brown epoxy (bondo?) stuff. Built for work not for purty.

I'm wondering if any readers here have experience or opinions of this cartridge?

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the 375 Whelen is, like the 35 Whelen, based on the 30-06 case but necked up to 375 caliber vs 35.
I've seen a little discussion of it in Rifle or Handloader and I think Dave Scovill felt it a little underpowed so developed a 375 on one of the slightly larger metric cases.

But I was hoping someone here on GB might have some personal experience with the caliber.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had one in an Enfield 1917 action. It threw a nice 250 gr bullet at about 2450fps. The recoil wasnot sharp and the bullets did the job on deer, nicely. Kinda like a 38-55, but souped up a tad. Brass was super easy to form. 8)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
i had a Ruger MK II chambered in 375 Whelen Ackley Improved, 24 inch barrel. Plenty of shoulder, easy to form brass, i used 35 Whelen brass with 10 grs bullseye and filled with grits, fired once, perfect shoulder and improved shape. 270 gr bullet at 2600 fps, nothing walked away from it, loaded Hawk 250 gr Spitzers at 2600 fps and used it on deer and hogs, DRT, none walked away, if you want a rifle to slay critters big and small, this is the calibre for it. wish i hadnt sold it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have one built on a Remington 700 375 whelen is a 30-06 case necked up to 375. Mine sends 270 grain bullets down range at 2450. I t is a good all around caliber. Performance near 375 h&h but without the recoil and cases arnuch more frugal

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info folks. The rifle was in a gun shop in Sitka Alaska. Makes sense - plenty ob big brown bears down there and smallish deer - sounds like that caliber would be handy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good morning
Been overlooking this thread...
Been shooting the 375 Whelen for some years. I see little reason to use less than 270 grain cast in mine. If I need less there are 38-55's to sort things out. The 375 Whelen is a big step up from 30-06. But you must understand if that rifle is a true 375 Whelen the case shoulder area is fatter in diameter than 06. That is where many people get head space problems. The 06 case is too narrow at the shoulder.
I use 35 Whelen brass as it is very near the shoulder diameter my rifle needs. I have never had any case seperations or problems. Just do not reduce that shoulder diameter. Get dies that are correct.
Only shoot my cast bullets in mine and I am very pleased with the 270-320 grain range. I would hunt any critter any where with those combinations. Have also a 345 grainer that would be pure thunder on big critters at 50 yards or less. All these cast are gas checked. If I do not a gas check bullet again out comes the 38-55's.
Reloading 4350 is a very good powder with heavy bullets. Faster powders may give a bit more velocity but are not any better in accuracy.
If I think there is a need for more power out comes the 375 H&H which is several steps up. That rifle will propel the same 345 grainer to any range needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts