Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 5# bag of #4 bismuth shot this year to play around with for duck season.

Loaded 1oz in a Federal 12s4 wad in a 2.75” Fiocchi hull, 30 grains of Longshot and flax seed used as a filler. Loaded a few in HeaviMetal (Cheddite) 3” hulls, but decided I can load them cheaper in the 2.75” hulls.

I pressures tested these on my Pressure Trace 2 for an avg of 8800 psi @ 1450 fps.

I think I had 1 maybe two follow-up shots this year??? Dang near everything i shot with these folded them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m following you with Bismuth, but am loading for 20 gauge since ANY “”Non-Tox” shells are unavailabl.

I am following the recipe from RotoMetals/Tom Roster. 2-3/4” REM STS, win 209, 15 gr Longshot, REM. SP20 wad, 18.0 gr buffer, and 7/8 oz #6 shot.

Are you weighing out your powder, shot, and buffer? Is it critical to get a set weight of buffer, or would a Lee dipper be adequate?

I understand that the Bismuth Shot has to be weighed rather than run through the bar on a Mec, but could I set my adjustable charge bar to throw the powder and buffer?

·
Super Moderator
11,157 Posts
I think you are getting to be a better shot too! Bismuth is "better" than steel, but it still takes a fine shot to put the pellets where they do the most good.

You already know, mathematically or empirically (through shooting), the densities (below) in grams per cubic centimeter (gms/cc) - Imperial Units, and it does not really matter so long as the Units are consistent:
Lead ===> @ 11.34 gms/cc is the basis for comparison
Bismuth => @ 9.60 gms/cc is 85% of the weight of lead
Steel ===> @ 7.68 gms/cc is 69% of the weight of lead and 82% of Bismuth.

Steel "loses" in these comparisons. Bismuth is about 20% better than steel and closer to lead by nearly a 2 to 1 margin over steel.

Lead is the best, but triggered, knee jerking, tree hugging, Enviro-weenies invaded the field and ruined what had historically been a non-issue. We'll never recover what has been lost and it will continue this way for ALL related activities the weenies persist in exploiting.

Lord, please don't let me get politically started....

·
Registered
79 Posts
@land_owner , Count your blessings. Here in the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) we are now REQUIRED to use non lead Projectiles for ALL hunting. I ordered the Bismuth Shot because of a severe disappointment in availability of "Non Tox" loads for 20 gauge. I do have 1 box of HeviMetal shot shells that have been very effective on Pheasants, but cannot get any more in the foreseeable future, hence the reloading.

It seems to be a bit more involved than loading for trap and skeet, since I am not able to utilize the Mec 600 or 9000 Grabber to their fullest extents.

Hopefully I will have a field report this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
11,157 Posts
I've got 255 pounds of chilled lead shot in sizes from #9 through #2, tens (10's) of thousands (1000's) of exposed lead tipped Nosler Partition, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, et al, bullets, nearly a HALF TON of lead for casting, and probably 10% of that already cast into a plethora of different caliber boolits. Steel IS required here, by the Feds, for duck hunting (or Bismuth, which is more expensive). I cannot fathom the RKBA abuses that Californians must surffer (oops - misspelled "suffer" and could not bring myself to correct the unusual, in context, twist).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use Hevi-shot for turkeys even though I can use lead. It just patterns so much tighter/denser/better at the longer ranges than lead does. In an act of 11TH hour desperation, I took a jake at 80+ yards a few years ago. One shot and enough #5 tungsten in the head to make that jake do the flippity flop. Guy that was with me just looked at me like I had performed a miracle. I had patterned the gun at them ranges. I was not shocked one bit. Sometimes the no tox is simply the best choice even when you are not forced to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts