Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ours isn't working very well. Anyone here have some suggestions about this?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I had the same problem last month. I bought a Kitchenaid can opener for around 12 bucks from Amazon. It does the job and seems be plenty strong...

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I have always used the old style snap it on the can and twist the handle works for me or you could get you some P 38 Smile they work great although wife may not care for them.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
544 Posts
Our 25+ year old black and decker can opener that the white plastic had turned yellow on finally died over the summer. Apparently B&D isn't trendy enough so a new Cuisinart ss can opener replaced it. The older B&D had a roller blade and the Cuisinart has a fixed blade that was making steel wool like fibers when it opened the cans. 30 seconds with a stone removed the burrs that were causing it, but given the choice I'd look for another one with a roller wheel blade that cuts the cans open.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
That is a new one.:tango_face_surprise

I have several manual can openers, the basic turn the handle type, the newer type that opens on the side leaving a sharp edge and the old , old type where you pump the handle so the blade cuts it open.
Used to have one of the small turn the handle type but it wore out and new ones of that type are mostly crap.
I have one very old electric, with knife sharpener, I got from my late Aunt, and newer one that works but is not near as good as te old one but if you do it right will still open a big three pound restaurant type can.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
We have a Hamiltion Beach that has done it's job for quite a few years. It's one of those of inferior quality that Walmart sells.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Well we bought a new 30 dollar one and the part that hold the magnet broke within a week, so, we put that one in the , just in case room, and bought another bit more expensive one.
It was a piece of crap from the get go, so we took it back continue using the one without a magnet.
Both were from Bed, Bath & Beyond, whose stuff is usually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
are we getting so BAD that we have to ask someone about buying a 25 dollar can opener? I'M NOT.
I don't think I'd pay 25. Most can openers are junk. I say buy a good brand that makes and sells a lot of them, like kitchenaid or oxo. Those should cost between 12 and 15 and will last. Also, stay away from gimmicky designs. If it's much more complex than an anvil, it's no good.

But back to your question, think of all the posts you've seen from people agonizing over whether to pay a premium price for a gun or some other sporting good. The difference is that that is a legitimate thing to agonize over. Lawn mowers, can openers, and similar boring crap is not.

In other words, agonizing over $2000 rifle or $300 fishing rod is Ok. Agonizing over lawn mower or can opener at any price is bad bad bad.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I can't tell you how often I've gotten pissed at a can opener that broke down. I always had a fix for it though. A good old church key can opener that saved the day. I have bought many can openers but I still have the first church key I ever got, and I think I found it in a trash pile when I was a kid. Then I kept it in my tool box to open motor oil cans. Now it's in the kitchen. Just puncture all the way around the rim of the can and you're in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Just spend a few cents and buy a p38, or a p51 if you want a bit more leverage. It'll last you 50 years, doesn't use electricity, and takes up VERY little space.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
are we getting so BAD that we have to ask someone about buying a 25 dollar can opener? I'M NOT.
I don't know..I like to take counsel from folks who have "been there, done that"! When asked about any given product, one may get 25 answers.

Sure, someone could be "pulling your leg", but the preponderance will offer their experience, which is worth something.

Why buy a faulty product when you can avoid it?

"Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established." (Prov 15:22)

·
22,251 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
that's a high dollar one. My wife picked up a new one last month for 16. Wotoaster seemed to be the most recommended model.rks fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-CCO-50BKN-Deluxe-Electric-Can-Opener-Black/174150356450?hash=item288c2b8de2%3Ag%3A3uMAAOSw--1bOS75&LH_ItemCondition=1000
That is interesting..It seems there was a discussion here a couple weeks ago, concerning can openers. I took the trouble to search the web the 'consumer report' type sites. For what it is worth, the Cuisinart seemed to be the brand most recommended.

·
22,251 Posts
sure not an expert on can openers but this one works just fine and I think its silly to pay any more for one.
That is interesting..It seems there was a discussion here a couple weeks ago, concerning can openers. I took the trouble to search the web the 'consumer report' type sites. For what it is worth, the Cuisinart seemed to be the brand most recommended.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts