Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be setting up to cast for my 45-70 barrel that will be on the way soon.

I went and cleaned up all my casting equipment and see what I have.
I have not casted any bullets in about a year or so so things really needed to be cleaned.

when I got to my Lyman electric melting pot I found the power cord had one of the wires cut trough. I have no idea how this happened.

now comes the question: would it be safe to cut the wire off at the cut then solder them back together and wrap electric tape around the exposed wire? the cut is about 6 inches away from the pot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
fixing cord

Rick if I were you I would solder the wires togather but before I did that I would get some heat shrink from the auto parts store cover each wire then cover the whole cord with it :D Forest T

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rick, I would just use a wire nut and some electric tape to secure it. My pots sure aren't much to look at after I get to casting with them, so appearance doesn't seem to matter to a boolit...

Goatlips

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
HEY! Stop be'n so fussy! Just twist them wires back together and git to cast'n them boolets, heck you ain't no 'lectrician!!

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I cut all the wires striped them spliced them together and soldered them together very well. sled over the heat shrink and sealed it then used electric tape over the heat shrink, then used the electric tape all over the repaired section. I went outside and plugged it in and everything is working great. about $5.00 and an 1/2 hour work and I am back up and running :D

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Ricky-- For whats its worth i am an electrian , and you did a pro job , it should last till next time you cut the cord :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts