Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use steel shot in a full choke? I have heard you cannot use steel in a full choke. I have also heard you can use up to 4's or 2's. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the gun is of modern quality when steel was introduced, last 20~25 years it should be ok. Same with screw in chokes.

Steel patterns tighter than lead. 2's or 4's or 3's may patter an bit better than say BB's 1's etc.. The pattern board will tell what works best.

·
3,517 Posts
probably not... turkey chokes are tighter than full.... If it says lead only on the tube I'd use lead only. Or if you've got your heart set on goose hunting with it buy some hevi-shot or some other alloy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Definitely LEAD ONLY means just that. If you want to get exotic on the chokes and have some cash lying around you just don't need, you can get some nice stuff from Wad Wizzard, Terror Choke etc..

Still need to take the time to pattern. Always.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am talking about a regular full choke not a turkey extra full. It is on a browning gold shot gun. It doesn't say anything about lead only. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah, you can use it on a BG.

My Sx2 is basically the same gun, uses Invector Plus chokes like the BG. I have good luck with the Imp Mod with a wide range of shot sizes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is another :lol:

yeah, you can use it on a BG.

My Sx2 is basically the same gun, uses Invector Plus chokes like the BG. I have good luck with the Imp Mod with a wide range of shot sizes.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i've been wondering the same thing about my 1966 Belgian Auto-5. i was gonna have it reamed,but a friend was taking a lookat it and said the barrel was thick enough i could have it threaded for invector chokes if i wanted, so i'll probably do that.

·
3,517 Posts
I'd put that gun in a shelf somewhere and not shoot it, or certainly don't have work done on it. I've got a 12 and 16 A5. I've shot them both but i'm very careful with them and only take them on "easy" hunts.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
dukkillr said:
I'd put that gun in a shelf somewhere and not shoot it, or certainly don't have work done on it. I've got a 12 and 16 A5. I've shot them both but i'm very careful with them and only take them on "easy" hunts.
nope i bought it to use, and use it i will. it's got a Bell & Carlson camo stock, so i don't have to worry about wood being scratched, and i might just shell out $400 for a new barrel. the bluing is almost perfect, i only paid $400 Cdn for it, which for an A-5 is pretty good. sometimes i see them for $150 atthe local shop, should take a better look next time. it'll probably see most of it's use for upland birds, and it's a pleasure to shoot 5 stand with. i'd like to find a 16 and 20 as well, small town gunshows are best for finding good cheap guns

·
3,517 Posts
well more power to you i guess... i like the guns, one from each grandfather... autos are not really my thing though, particularly the 16. More work than it's worth in my book. Mostly it stays in the safe.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
yeah, it all comes down to how much you like em. i've wanted an A-5 for something like 4 years, pumps ain't really my thing. i got an old exposed hammer Stevens 325 my grandpa owned, thats my safe queen.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You may be able to get it thru the hole, but the pellets will likely be fighting to get out, producing a wild pattern. I would pattern the gun and see what kind of holes you have at 35 yards. I am guess it will be pretty erratic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don,t know about that side of the pond, but over here full choke is a no no for steel, I was told that when using steel to imagine it as 2 sizes bigger
eg. 4 is 2. weather this is right I don,t know, but one thing is for sure it don,t kill as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I asked the same question and here was customer service's reply......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can, extensive use can open your choke up a little but it is not dangerous

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 4:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pardner Shotgun question

I recently purchased a 12 Ga. Pardner with a 32" full choke barrel.
The S.N. starts with NM. Can I safely shoot steel shot thru this gun?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Wrongpaw

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry for the vague previous topic.
I thought I was replying to the NEF
shotgun forum.
In any case, this reply was to my question
posted to HR1871 regarding steel shot thru
their full choke barrel.
Again, I apologize for the case of cranium gas...

Regards,
Wrongpaw

1 - 20 of 22 Posts