Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need some help. I cannot seem to make up my mind concerning which Blackhawk to get. Flattop in either 44 Special or 45 Colt or just get a standard 44 Mag. I will be reloading for whichever one that I get. Purpose is target shooting and hunting backup. I like the idea of either of the flattops but also that I can just load to slower velocities in a magnum case. I can only afford one of them right now and was looking for any ideas or useful insight as to which one would you pick and why. Maybe then I can make a decision.

·
2,655 Posts
They are all nice choices, and will do what you want. I believe the .44 spec flat tops are all being built on the .357 sized frame, so it would be a little more compact than a Super in .44 mag. Something else to consider is the grip design. Supers can be had with the traditional square back trigger guard, or the round trigger guard standard Blackhawk style. Some people find the square back design normally used on the Supers are hard on the middle finger of the shooting hand under recoil. I like them, and the SS model Super shown, has had a square trigger guard grip frame switched out from the original round model it came with.

The Bisley grip, also shown, tends to handle recoil the best for most people, even though it looks weird.

The flat top .44 mag shown used to be uncomfortable to me with stock grips, Just changing the grips out to a thicker custom set has made it much more pleasant to shoot with full power loads.

Larry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I think Larry and Ken are right on....great advice. I'll give you my perspective FWIW. For me.. I think s barrel length of 7.5 in is about as good as it gets. But...I find myself gravitating to barrels of 5 or 6 inches because they carry easier on the belt for ME. I'm 5'7" and a longer barrel kinda gets banged around. Also, I shoot BH style guns a lot and find that a 5-6 inch holds pretty steady for me and considering I'll only be able to hit something within 50-75 yards I'm ok with this.

I also find the bisley grip worthwhile if you shoot heavy loads with lots of recoil. The ruger plow handle is ok but does smack my middle finger. As to caliber...my vote is for 44 but...if you hand load....there's no sneezing on the 45colt!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That 44 Special in the small frame sounds good to me for target shooting.

Otherwise, I'd probably pick the .45 in single action for nostalgia and I think it matches up with the shorter barrels better than the 44 Mag. Also there's a pile of 45 Colt Blackhawks on the used market around here from cowboy action shooters that either got out of the game or moved down to 38 for cost or kick.

Only 44 Mag I'd have a hankerin for is an old 29 with 6" or 8" barrel.

But I might want a 357 Blackhawk with a longer 7 1/2" barrel for long range target shooting.

Now if it was a primary hunting arm, a 44 Mag like that long barreled Bisley in Big Easy's pic looks like just the ticket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my first thoughts were for the 44 special due to everyone raving over their accuracy. Then starting kicking around the idea that the 45 could also be a convertible, but most need to have their cylinders reamed for cast. Then of course the 44 mag just so i could download to the special and also not have to worry about too much pressure in the flattop. I'm sure any would suit my needs. I'm sure down the road i will end up with at least one of each.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
44 is the most versitle
44 will be easiest to get a rifle in matching caliber.

the super black hawk is slightly larger....i don't like that

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
As a hunting backup you may never get a shot, or very few (and you dont say 'backup' for what game; that is important), that means it will be mostly a target gun.
For mostly target I would go with the Bisley 44Spl. and with a few hotter loads in it I would not feel undergunned for any game here in WI.
If fast, intuitive handling you may find Ruger's version of the std Colt's style grip better, if that matters (as it might for a hunting backup).
If you really feel the need for the Magnum option and have a large hand/prefer a larger framed revolver look at the shorter barreled Supers. You would carry more as a backup than shoot it and a crossdraw shoulder rig to carry a 7.5" SB might be getting in your way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Couple yrs ago bought a new Ruger New model Blackhawk Convertable, 45acp/45 colt in blue. What showed up was the Bisley in stainless. Wasant shure about it till I started shooting it with cast hand loads. Very impressed with it. I bought it as a field carry gun. 5 1/2 bbl and carry it in a cross draw holster. Have Black Bear, Mountain Lion, some Wild Pig, Rattlers and some slyme 2 legged things in the woods here. The 5 colt go's in the woods with me, and is capable of stopping any of the above.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mostly target shooting, but backup to deer and hog hunting. Not a primary. Interested in the 5.5 version for looks. Gun Runner- did you have any issues with the cylinder size for shooting cast? Research is pointing me toward the colt or special.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My preference is the 45 convertible. The ACP cylinders can be very accurate and you can buy 45 ACP about anywhere. A warm loaded 45LC with a SWC will take care of about any 4 legged critter. I like the 44 special a lot but if you can only buy ONE I think you limit yourself to either what you hand load or the small amount of commercial ammo out there

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dale, no probs with cast. I resize to .451. am shooting the lee #90348 and 90234 200gr in the acp and lee #90356 252gr in the colt, also sized .451. Shooting light loads but have some heaver bullets gonna start trying.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well lost my opportunity to grab a 44 special bisley, and of course it was a great price too. Looking also at a colt convertible. Anybody know cost and location to have the cylinders reamed if needed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ended up getting the 5.5 bisley 44 special. Another one popped up at the right moment that I was giving up hope of finding another one. Eventually I will get the 45 convertible as well. Very pleased with the quality and feel, just haven't had a chance to light it off yet.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Great! I thought that 66 Ford might've broken down and derailed the plans.
44 Special just sounds....special. And the smaller frame sounds like a winner too.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
.45 Colt of course ;D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No derailment, just took forever (it seemed at the time) to find the one I wanted. I couldn't find any of the bisleys when I wanted to buy it. Now just to find some brass I can load up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.