Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a light saltwater 2 piece rod I can't get apart!! I've had rods stuck before BUT this one's got me stumped. I can't budge it!!! It did turn about a 1/4 turn, but that was it!! Any ideas???

GOT IT APART.!!!
Wrapped it in ice for an hour. Clamped the upper half in a vice wrapped in one of those rubber jar openers. Used the reel end to twist. Was tough but it came apart!!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Be careful when twisting a rod like that, It can damage it, I used to repair alot of damaged rods because of this. The proper way to take a stuck rod apart is to place it behind your knees, ferrule centered between them, squat down a little and holding on to the rod spread your legs, this allows you to pull in a straight line. The best ferrule lubricant is to take the male end of the rod and rub it along the side of your nose and that will apply just the right ammount of lube to the ferrules. too much lubricant can cause a vaccume seal that's just about impossible to get apart.......................steg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Since I was a young, I've applied oil from the side of my nose to the iserted part of the rod, before assembling them. (something I learned from my Dad) This really helps when it comes time to disassemble them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.