Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us are using cast bullets to shoot IHMSA.

I so far have only used cast. I shoot 357 max, 44 mag, 7tcu, 7-08, and 22 hornet. My scores may show that I use cast, but I feel good about them. Best scores to date are a 34 with the 7-08 and a 29 with the 44 mag.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I have never used anything but cast for IHMSA. I will admit jacketed is easier for high power rifle to 500M, but 200M and under you don't give up anything. And you can afford to shoot more, so your scores should go up!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
32 H&R and 22 Hornet in field pistol, 7mm TCU in big bore. A while back I used to use the 32 for big bore standing too, with a 220gr. bullet. Works well, but the trajectory is kind of steep out at the ram line.

The 32 gets Ideal #3118, the Hornet gets RCBS 55gr. FN, and the TCU gets SAECO 160 bore riders. All shoot better than I can see.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I shoot cast in Production (MOA in 7BR) & Revolver (FA in .41 Mag with Leadhead's 270 grain bullet). In fact, I shot my first 40 with the MOA. We have several cast bullet shooters here in Oregon & they can routinely beat the jacketed bullet guys. I do not feel that cast takes a second seat to jacketed in any fashion.

Steve W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
19 Turkeys,

I only meant that as a joke. I don't feel I give up anything to jacketed shooters either. I don't shoot as much as I like, but that is a time constraint. I go through the same motions when I shoot cast as people do jacketed (except the lube and size bullets step). I sort out blemishes, I watch how the bullet looks after loading. I even weight sort the same as I do for my long range rifles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, you give up nothing using cast bullets for IHMSA or NRA silhouette.
I shoot 32H&R Mag for BB standing with a 165 gr bullet, a 145gr RCBS bore-rider and a NOE 145 boolit in 7mm TCU and 7mmBR. I use the RCBS 200gr in my 357 F.A. revolver. I got to International Grade in revolver with these bullets and have shot so many 39/40 with my 7BR with cast that I am sure using copper would not get me the 40.
The only gun I shoot with copper is my BF 7mm Supermag because I cannot get a cast bullet to seat without having the gas-check well below the neck junction due to the extrememly short neck on this round.
I will keep looking though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively in my 10" Freedom Arms 44 Mag and would love to compete but don't know where to go to do it. I live in northeast TX.
Plain flat based based bullets perform much better for me than bevel based bullets.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The RCBS silhouette bore rider bullet is great. I shot my first 40x40 with it in 1997 using my Production MOA in 7BR. You will be very happy with it!

Steve W.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a RCBS 200 and a LBT 180 in a .357 magnum for field pistol and uas. They both weigh about 195 out of wheelweights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts