Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As y'all know components are as hard to find as ammo. Midway just got in several flavors of 158 gr hard cast bullets. Would they work in a Maxi if speeds are kept down some? My factory Maxi is favoring 158 gr bullets, well at least jacketed, in my testing so far.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Tell me about it! I searched almost a dozen suppliers to find 150 or 170 gr. RN .308s to load for my grandson's .30-30 Marlin. Finally found 170 gr. Core-Lokts at Buffalo Arms. Dinny and others here shoot powder coated cast at pretty warm velocities I think. I buy my cast bullets from Montana Bullet works, Grand Master or Oregon Trail. Cheap in volume. I just use them for play., chipmunks, red squirrels, etc.

Pete

Reactions: 45/70fan

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you go with the hard cast lead bullets you need to keep the velocities down or you will get some severe leading and your accuracy will go out the window. I would think 1200FPS or less ,, and you may still get some leading. Maybe use a gas check to boost velocities a little bit more.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What will you be using them for?

Target practicing? If so, no need for high speed. Trail Boss is a good powder choice.

Hunting? Probably should have a gas check on one end and then select a powder that provides more velocity.

I load 200 gr. gas checked hard cast in my 35 Remington at about 2000 fps. Not seeing any leading at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For me, my home cast powder coated plain based bullets have worked for full power loads.

I cast a bullet that drops at 160 gr. I use it for sillywet shooting in my Dan Wesson Max revolver with a case near full of Wc680. I have pushed it to about 1500 fps with good accuracy.

My 16" 357AR did not feed the 160s very well. Since it fed my cast 180s and 200s better, these are what I focused my load development on. I have pushed both of these to around 2000 fps. Both have shown groups of 2 MOA or better.

However, guns can be picky. I would not buy too many of any single bullet style until your sure that you will be able to find a load your gun is happy with.

I spent decades shooting the Dan Wesson with cast bullets loaded down to the 38 special power level due to leading. I tried a bunch of different stuff over the years but it was not until I tried powder coat that I could go any hotter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I cast, load, and shoot a lot of 160gr FP bullets with a gas check, sized .310. My plinking load is 10gr Unique. I have chronographed them but don’t have the numbers handy, I think they are about 1600 FPS. They shoot great with minimal recoil, I have loaded the same bullet (Lyman 311041) about 2100fps, with a different powder, and taken two deer with a 30-30 Handi Rifle.

i also cast a lot of 200gr bullets for 357 Max and 350 Legend. They shoot great also. I use conventional lube and a gas check.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I cast, load, and shoot a lot of 160gr FP bullets with a gas check, sized .310. My plinking load is 10gr Unique. I have chronographed them but don’t have the numbers handy, I think they are about 1600 FPS. They shoot great with minimal recoil, I have loaded the same bullet (Lyman 311041) about 2100fps, with a different powder, and taken two deer with a 30-30 Handi Rifle.

i also cast a lot of 200gr bullets for 357 Max and 350 Legend. They shoot great also. I use conventional lube and a gas check.
How did they perform on deer? The 30 cals that is. Have you shot any meat with your .375 cast bullets? Any kind. If so how did they perform?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I’ve shot thousands of hard cast out of a ruger super Blackhawk at around 1400 FPS and never had a leading problem. Non gas checked...

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
When I had a Maxi I often shot cast 158 gr. semi wadcutters with gas check. Sized a couple of thousandths over bore diameter. They gave me good accuracy with little to no leading using top end loads of 1680. Nowadays, I powder coat, and my Handi 35 rem. shoots cast 200 grain RCBS clones just fine with no leading.

Leading is usually a result of poor lube or undersized bullets.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The two deer I shot with the Lyman 311041 went about 30yds each. Shot through the chest. I haven’t shot any deer with the 375 but they would work great. I use Lyman 375449.

My first cast shot deer was with a 35 Rem and RCBS 35-200 At about 1900fps. The deer didn’t go more than 10yds. I am loading a similar bullet that is a HP in my 35 Legend At about 1700fps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am pushing 158gr. LSWC bullet (no GC) out of my 357magnum 16" barrel @ 1700fps with absolutely no leading but Maxi Velocity going to be higher. 180gr. bullets better IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts