Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 744 (monson) I been playing around with cast bullets. I cast with wheel weights and a rcbs 245 sac mould (pain base) At 25 yards there Great, at 50 yards 2 -3 inches but, at 75 yards I have a hard time hitting a 10" steel plate. I get no leading. I tried many different loads Win 296 is the best at max. I just started casting and I made a mistake ordering the mould, I wanted a gas check. So the question is, do I try a RCBS 240 swc gc or a 300swc gc mould? I know I should ask at the cast bullets section but I figure I give the Dan Wesson guys a chance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds kind of weird that the group would open up that much in just 25 yards (between 50 and 75). I don't have a clue.......Van

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cast a 245 grain SWC Lyman 429421 and use 5.0 grains of Red Dot. It is very accurate. Bullet is made with straight wheelweights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would check the bore size by slugging the barrel. That way you can size the bullets to match your barrel, not all barrels are the same. Beartooth bullets website has some good info on cast bullets as well. Good luck on your casting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think I answered my own question. I 'm casting a 240 swc with a gas check from wheel weights same as before. With two different loads I'm getting 1.5"-2.5" groups at 75 yards with a red dot scope. Boy do I feel better!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It is not unheard of for accuray to go kaput in 25-50 yards. When I shot IHMSA silhouette regularly I would often watch home-case .44 bullets shoot straight out to the 100 meter line (into a 6" group on the steel), only to begin to corkscrew wildly past the pigs. Apparently the bullets were imballanced enough that they became unstable as the velocity dropped off. By the time the bullets got to the 200 meter line they would spray over a five foot diameter circle. A hit was almost impossible....

Why the imballance? Void in the bullet.....severe gas cutting on one side when fired.....???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts