Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any new guys I say congratulations on finding this site. This community is overflowing with experience and information. I'm glad to be back. Didn't get the Handi dialed up how I wanted it for deer season this year so with my modivation revitalized I look forward to locking it down. I finally ordered a wooden forend to compliment my Choate Tac. Stock. I put it off for so long. ??? It's pretty awsome looking with the wood stain+Choate rubberized finishes working together. My 30-06 Standard sporter had hope and now it does shoot noticeably better than before. I will definately bed from the lug back and install a threaded piller or something for the forend screw. Any one done that? Can't remeber. All of that may be beside the point with my recent suspisions proving to be true...

I'm stretching cases down by the rim and not uniformly. And! The firing pin is not striking the center of the primer. Any thoughts on what else could be on the table. I've tried to be consistant in my trigger squeeze and I haven't redone the trigger. I wish to reload one day but currently I don't. I hope my problems are minor. THNX for any help.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Off center pin strikes are common with many rifles, not an big deal as long as they aren't extreme to the point of misfiring.

With an unfired round chambered, place a straight edge across chamber face and the cartridge headstamp, is the case flush with the chamber mouth or recessed? Any recessed amount, plus the barrel to frame gap = headspace, the SAAMI max acceptable headspace is .006", if it's more than that, it needs to go back to H&R for a new barrel.

Ideally, the case should be flush or maybe .001" above the chamber face, even then you'll get some case growth with max and/or some factory loads and they'll need to be full length resized.

Tim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pin isn't that far off center so I'll let that one ride. I'll run the other test you've recommended. THNX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts