Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Gunnut I've finally finished my cradle, built the base out of 1x4 (actual measurements) hickory and the end pieces from oak with oak dowels. I built it from Montey Kennedys plans. It feels good and is very solid, waiting for the stain to fully dry now. Any way back to the subject I'm still working on the mod 700 and getting ready to re cut the pressed in checkering. Some of the border lines are very faint if not gone what is the best way of going about this. Also it is about 30 yrs old with the nice scroling with a few very tight places what is the best direction to go with that. And the last question is do you have any idea about the video brownells sells on checkering. Thanx Dan

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Well so far it sounds like I'm taking the right path. I was scratching on some last night for practice just the way you explained, just thought I'd ask for some more advise. Never hurts to get all the info I can before going all out. By the way I'm using dem-bart cutters and 90 veiner with monteys jointer. If I had the jointer when I started my 25yr old pellet gun maybe it would have saved alot of sanding. Starting to strip and refinish the stock now so maybe another ten days before I start cutting on it. I got alot of guys I work with that has given me old stocks to practice with. I believe I'll get hit up for some work when I finally get proficent. If I can figure out how to post a pic on this I'll put one up. Thanx Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.