Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A popular Asian/Chinese restaurant bistro here in Atlanta was closed down this morning after authorities received a tip that the owner was accepting shipments of rats and mice from a vendor to prepare in his dishes. The owner and his wife were arrested early this morning and charges are not known at this time. After a full search of the kitchen, authorities found, packaged rats, mice, kittens, pups... Eat Up!

Exactly why we don't eat in those places. We did have a Mexican food roach coach get busted here for doing this also. Makeing burritos out of jack rabbits and other small animals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You know I would have no problem eating mexican food made from Jack Rabbits, if they simply said so.

Cooked and prepared properly I found them very tasty and tender.

Rats, mice, not so much, although I know historically sailers on wooden sailing ships commonly ate rat.
I think the Chinese culture is a little more accepting of alternative sources of meat than most westerners are.
Cats' and dogs, well I have a little hangup there, although I have probably eaten dog and liked it.
But I dislike the idea of someones pet ending up on my plate.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Forget the exact percentage, but, the bread you buy in the store is allowed to contain a certain amount of rodent hair and feces and a certain percentage of insects, eggs and larva so how is this any more disgusting?

And if you’ve ever eaten a hot dog or vie-annie sausage or can of potted meat you’vee had some pertty sketchy vittles. And i love all three of those.

And I’d rather have any of it than Burglar King’s meatless estrogen burger.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I’m quite sure that I’ve eaten dog meat and cat meat is quite delicious. Mountain lion and bobcats can be a culinary delight if killed and processed with the same care we give our deer meat.

In oriental countries you can bring your own puppy and the Resturant will cook it for you or chose one of theirs. Most don’t use pets but cats & dogs raised for the table.

Now if you want a fine bbq meat choose a young goat. And roast it in a hole with live coals.

A little closer to home we kill all the wild hogs we can for bbq and smoking. The difference is in the raising and exposer to new foods.

When I lived with a Indian tribe boiled fish was very good as was devil fish and stink heads.

·
22,352 Posts
don't even get me started on hot dogs and bologna. You couldn't hold me down and make me it either of them. Emulsified buzzard food.
Forget the exact percentage, but, the bread you buy in the store is allowed to contain a certain amount of rodent hair and feces and a certain percentage of insects, eggs and larva so how is this any more disgusting?

And if you’ve ever eaten a hot dog or vie-annie sausage or can of potted meat you’vee had some pertty sketchy vittles. And i love all three of those.

And I’d rather have any of it than Burglar King’s meatless estrogen burger.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
don't even get me started on hot dogs and bologna. You couldn't hold me down and make me it either of them. Emulsified buzzard food.

Hahahahaha. They’ve sanitized it a lot in modern times but used to be that reading the label on a can of potted meat was not for the squeamish. But man, they just ain’t much better settin’ on the river bank waitin’ for the fish to bite than a pack of crackers and a couple cans of ‘potted dog’ as my brother used to call it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yep.

Knew a guy who worked as a butcher at the West Fargo Packing Plant. Saw me eating a hot dog one day. "If you knew what was in there you would not eat it"

Yes I know I answered, ignorance is bliss, and I enjoy my hot dogs, so please don't tell me.

Now some 40 + years later I could make some pretty good guesses as to content. And ignorance is still bliss. We all have a couple of places in our heads where we play games to get around what could be serious handicaps. It is what you do to live in Civilization. You want to move out to the boonies and be a one man king of your world you would not have to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
People know everything, but ignorance is bliss. Not knowing makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Cats' and dogs, well I have a little hangup there, although I have probably eaten dog and liked it.
But I dislike the idea of someones pet ending up on my plate.
I am with you on that on totally.
To me that is dropping to the level of those who live in squalor for no reason.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
As long as they don’t harm any animals. I can go to the market and get meat that wasn’t killed. It’s processed and ready to go with no antibiotics, growth hormones and walked through the park and processed promptly at the time of death due to old age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts