Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new to me Toy. Contender Easy Open frame with 12 inch Custom Shop SS Barrel chambered in 300 Whisper. Previous owner had rim cut so 357 Max Brass can be used. It is fitted with a Vais Brake and wears BullBerry custom furniture. It is topped with a Warne base, 30mm Burris Signature rings and a 6.5 - 20 x50mm Burris MTac scope. Came with 150+ Brass and Redding loading dies. Can't wait to get some ammo loaded and get to the bench.

Hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving
Doug

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
65 Posts
300 Whisper-R
Not sure, but I was thinking that 360 Dan Wesson brass was the correct length to form the 300 Whisper-R Cases from. The 357 Maximum may be shortened a little.
Nice one for sure.

Bob R

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
65 Posts
If you get a chance try out some Shooters World "Blackout" powder in it. I picked up some for a 300 Black Out, and it ended up being my favorite in 7.62x39 also.
I have seriously thought about a 300 Whisper-R myself. I bought 500 pieces of 360 Dan Wesson brass before Starline started making 357 Maximum cases. In a Contender the rimed case would be preferred by about anyone reloading for it.
Enjoy

Bob R

·
Registered
399 Posts
You will like that little guy. Congrats

Bought a blued 10" Rochester 32-20 (no muzzlebrake) barrel as a companion to my 32-20 Buckeye Blackhawk last year. Well, it had a little throat to bore misalignment issue and I just could not get the accuracy out of it I wanted. So I "fixed" it with a piloted PTG 300Whisper reamer and an extractor swap. I shoot only home cast powdercoated bullets in mine but I can take it from mild (plainbase) to wild (with gas check) if I choose to. Most the time it gets treated like a mild 32-20 with almost everlasting/free 223 brass however. I love mine and have formed a few cases from 360Dan Wesson brass but for now it wears the 223 extractor until I get the rim recess cut into it. I do have a new 357MAG extractor in a bag and a bunch of 360DW brass waiting for that day on the lathe though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts