Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.americaisraeltravel.net/blog/visit-the-church-of-st-peter-in-gallicantu/


THE CHURCH OF ST. PETER IN GALLICANTU, MT. ZION JERUSALEM – A NEW SITE ADDED TO OUR HOLY LAND JOURNEYS
July 30, 2015



The beautiful church of Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu

We are announcing the addition of the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu located on Mt. Zion Jerusalem. This important landmark for the Christian faith is believed to be the location of Caiaphas’ house, the setting for Peter’s denial of Jesus on the night of his trial.

The church was built in 457 AD and it was destroyed in 1010. The chapel was reconstructed by Crusaders in 1102 and given its current name. One of the most recognizable features of the church is its golden rooster, which sits atop a black cross as a symbol of Christ’s prophesy that Peter would deny him 3 times “before the cock crows”.

CHURCH OF ST. PETER IN GALLICANTU PHOTO GALLERY

A photo of the front of the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
The cock at the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
A Christian at the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
A view of a tunnel at the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
Praying at the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
A view of the cock located at the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu
Information about te underground caves

MATTHEW CHAPTER 26 – (VERSE 57 – 75)

Then those who had seized Jesus led him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders had gathered. 58 But Peter followed him at a distance, as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and going inside he sat with the guards to see the end. 59 Now the chief priests and the whole council sought false testimony against Jesus that they might put him to death,

60 but they found none, though many false witnesses came forward. At last two came forward 61 and said, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.’” 62 And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” 63 But Jesus was silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.”

64 Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.” 65 Then the high priest tore his robes, and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. Why do we still need witnesses? You have now heard his blasphemy. 66 What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.” 67 Then they spat in his face, and struck him; and some slapped him, 68 saying, “Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who is it that struck you?”

69 Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. And a maid came up to him, and said, “You also were with Jesus the Galilean.” 70 But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you mean.” 71 And when he went out to the porch, another maid saw him, and she said to the bystanders, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” 72 And again he denied it with an oath, “I do not know the man.” 73 After a little while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, “Certainly you are also one of them, for your accent betrays you.” 74 Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately the cock crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, “Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly.

Photo by: Steve Conger
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,845 Posts
If I'm ever lucky enough to go to ISRAEL, I'll skip this "catholic shrine" of their alleged "first pope", along with their "golden chicken".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,335 Posts
I doubt I'll ever get to Isreal because I can't do the walking required for the different places I'd want to see. But I'd probably go see this one too I don't believe Peter exulted himself above others like the Catholic Church portrays him. And if I went it would be as a Christian, not a catholic. Like so many things, the meaning is in your reason for going to a place.

A catholic will have a different experience there than evangelical Christian, or a Pentecostal. We would all be coming there from different backgrounds & with different expectations. Just like a Jew has a different experience visiting there homeland.

And of course a person dose not half to be a Jew to be a citizen of Isreal. Fact is any American can go their with a immigration visa and after living there for 3 months be given citizenship, you then would have duel citizenship with Isreal & the USA.

If you are younger than 45 Isreal requires service in the IDF, either active or reserves depending on your age.

Another difference is their is no separation of church and state. Of course that's true in muselim countries as well.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,003 Posts
funny how some take every opportunity possible to bash the catholics or any other religion that's not theres. Bit of insecurity id say. Surely not how a real Christian would act. But as usual we have to consider the source and keep in mind that some just like the title of Christian but don't even come close to acting like one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,845 Posts
pastorp said:
I doubt I'll ever get to Isreal because I can't do the walking required for the different places I'd want to see. But I'd probably go see this one too I don't believe Peter exulted himself above others like the Catholic Church portrays him. And if I went it would be as a Christian, not a catholic. Like so many things, the meaning is in your reason for going to a place.

A catholic will have a different experience there than evangelical Christian, or a Pentecostal. We would all be coming there from different backgrounds & with different expectations. Just like a Jew has a different experience visiting there homeland.

And of course a person dose not half to be a Jew to be a citizen of Isreal. Fact is any American can go their with a immigration visa and after living there for 3 months be given citizenship, you then would have duel citizenship with Isreal & the USA.

If you are younger than 45 Isreal requires service in the IDF, either active or reserves depending on your age.

Another difference is their is no separation of church and state. Of course that's true in muselim countries as well.

Really? I didn't know that. :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,177 Posts
Lloyd said:
funny how some take every opportunity possible to bash the catholics or any other religion that's not theres. Bit of insecurity id say. Surely not how a real Christian would act. But as usual we have to consider the source and keep in mind that some just like the title of Christian but don't even come close to acting like one.
In Mark 9, the disciples came whining to Jesus about preachers that were "not one of us" and Jesus told them that whoever is not against us is for us.
He knew that there would be different denominations preaching in his name. that said, if I have belittled you like a certain person has, I apologize.
Bad times are coming and we need to stand together.

I would love to go to Israel and see EVERY historical site.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,845 Posts
pastorp said:
I doubt I'll ever get to Isreal because I can't do the walking required for the different places I'd want to see. But I'd probably go see this one too I don't believe Peter exulted himself above others like the Catholic Church portrays him. And if I went it would be as a Christian, not a catholic. Like so many things, the meaning is in your reason for going to a place.

A catholic will have a different experience there than evangelical Christian, or a Pentecostal. We would all be coming there from different backgrounds & with different expectations. Just like a Jew has a different experience visiting there homeland.

And of course a person dose not half to be a Jew to be a citizen of Isreal. Fact is any American can go their with a immigration visa and after living there for 3 months be given citizenship, you then would have duel citizenship with Isreal & the USA.

If you are younger than 45 Isreal requires service in the IDF, either active or reserves depending on your age.

Another difference is their is no separation of church and state. Of course that's true in muselim countries as well.

Well, a little research reveals it to be referred to by catholics as the "The Shrine of St. Peter of "Gallicantu", and was the PROJECT of one Catholic Father Emmanuel d'alzon (circa 1800s). So in reality, it was built by the Catholic Church, and it is about honoring the catholics claimed "first pope" having little to do with anything else. I personally would "skip it" in lue of "biblical attractions".
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,003 Posts
not you at all bugeye. Same one as usual, just like a broken record.
BUGEYE said:
Lloyd said:
funny how some take every opportunity possible to bash the catholics or any other religion that's not theres. Bit of insecurity id say. Surely not how a real Christian would act. But as usual we have to consider the source and keep in mind that some just like the title of Christian but don't even come close to acting like one.
In Mark 9, the disciples came whining to Jesus about preachers that were "not one of us" and Jesus told them that whoever is not against us is for us.
He knew that there would be different denominations preaching in his name. that said, if I have belittled you like a certain person has, I apologize.
Bad times are coming and we need to stand together.

I would love to go to Israel and see EVERY historical site.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top