Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is someone here willing to help me out with some info on some Civil War Artillery tools I just picked up..I can identify some of it, but am stumped on what you call most of it. I know there are some vent picks (Gimblets)?, and pull lanyard for friction primers, likely not even the right name for that :)

I think there is a set of artillery tongs for lifting projectiles I assume, maybe for a mortar more than a Cannon, or both?

Am no expert so if any member is wiser than I, which is very likely. Please contact me through PM with your email address and I will send a pic. Or you can just email me direct at:

[email protected]

I will post pics of the stuff here in a few days for all to see, but right now I want to identify the stuff. Should be fun for members here to see it. Oh the suspense ;D ..

There are around 40 items in the lot. All vintage except a couple repro leather items I believe. Not even sure it is all 100% artillery related, but was told it is.

Have a great Thanksgiving and Thanks.

DoubleD, just for the heck of it I sent you a pic as I have your email. If you want to take a look go ahead. If not that is fine too..

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
You're not doing too bad at all, Carbine1964!

carbineone1964 said:
Is someone here willing to help me out with some info on some Civil War Artillery tools I just picked up..I can identify some of it, but am stumped on what you call most of it. I know there are some vent picks (Gimblets)?[/color], and pull lanyard for friction primers[/color], likely not even the right name for that :)

I think there is a set of artillery tongs[/color] for lifting projectiles I assume, maybe for a mortar more than a Cannon, or both?

Vent Picks or Priming Wires almost always have wire loop handles; they are used for puncturing the wool or flannel powder cartridge bag so the friction primer flash will ignite the powder more easily.

Gimlets, by contrast, almost always have a wooden T-handle and are for removing the fragments of a friction primer that are not ejected when the gun fires.

An Artillery Lanyard has a small V-bent wire hook at the end of the cord for hooking the wire loop on the friction primer.

Shell Tongs are used for lifting and lowering shells into only mortars. They release automatically when the shell bottoms out on the chamber mouth.

Thanks for sending us the picture. There are some mystery items there for sure!

Tracy

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cannonmn, that would be great.

Thanks alot to Tracy from Seacoast. He said I can post his finding here from his email to me, and will do so when I post pics. I will try to get a pic posted this weekend, or Early next week. I will be gone till late weekend.

DoubleD, I will post more info when I post Tracys findings.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I may or may not still own this stuff. I am likely being screwed out of it. But am working on a resolution to the problem. I paid for the stuff, have the receipt showing I did. But have not received it yet. The stuff is mine and does exist, it is not a case of someone trying to blatantly rip me off, just a mix up that may not get resolved in my favor..

I am pretty angry about how this is being handled by the Company and will explain after I get it resolved or not in my favor, and expose the Company that is screwing me if that happens...It is 100% their fault.

Sorry about this..Bottom line is as of yet I have not received property, that is legally mine, but hopefully will. Thanks

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Sorry the difficulty has come up. I hope the items are authentic and worth the trouble. What I mean is there are fake accouterments on the market, many made by a man living in NC, who sells them at East coast gun shows. I haven't heard of them in other parts of the country so unless you found them in the eastern US you are probably ok. His stuff doesn't look much like the original items but since few collectors have seen originals, he's been able to fool hundreds, maybe thousands of unsuspecting gun show patrons.

·
Registered
128 Posts
cannonmn said:
Sorry the difficulty has come up. I hope the items are authentic and worth the trouble. What I mean is there are fake accouterments on the market, many made by a man living in NC, who sells them at East coast gun shows. I haven't heard of them in other parts of the country so unless you found them in the eastern US you are probably ok. His stuff doesn't look much like the original items but since few collectors have seen originals, he's been able to fool hundreds, maybe thousands of unsuspecting gun show patrons.
John the same guy sells at New England gun shows to, i have seen his Arty Bar shots go for big bucks on Ebay along with many other items which are very well made and have probably fooled many. caveat mentor is it!

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I sincerely hope its just a misunderstanding, Carbineone1964. I have disliked thieves intensely since my Army days and I hope you have not run afoul of them. I think Exlimey meant "caveat emptor". I misspell the first part frequently; he takes care of the last. Best wishes to you from Mike and I.

Tracy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.