1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
From the photo with the news article, it looks like a 6.4 Inch or 7 Inch Double Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle, M1862, or M1863. All 6.4 inch Brooke rifles were double, rather than single banded from late in 1862 as were all 7 Inch rifles. The 6.4 Inch rifle weighed 9,100 Lbs. and the 7 Inch, 10,600. With a 14 pound charge of #7 naval powder these large rifles could reach 4 to 4.5 miles with their 80 pound bolts or 60 pound shells.

Allen, thanks a lot for posting this; it is VERY interesting to us.

Mike and Tracy

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Interesting, I really do not see alot about how they were actually located. It would be good to know more about the search process and how they were able to actually find em. That really looks like it is not in that bad of condition considering..

Rivers shift, floods, stuff gets buried. Kinda amazing they actually found em.

I never find anything like that when Scuba Diving.

Found a Civil War Hubcap once ;D

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seacoastartillery said:
From the photo with the news article, it looks like a 6.4 Inch or 7 Inch Double Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle, M1862, or M1863. All 6.4 inch Brooke rifles were double, rather than single banded from late in 1862 as were all 7 Inch rifles. The 6.4 Inch rifle weighed 9,100 Lbs. and the 7 Inch, 10,600. With a 14 pound charge of #7 naval powder these large rifles could reach 4 to 4.5 miles with their 80 pound bolts or 60 pound shells.

Allen, thanks a lot for posting this; it is VERY interesting to us.

Mike and Tracy
Yeah when I saw that photo I knew you two would be interested :) glad I came across it..... now on one of your future trips you'll have some more cannon to take measurements from.....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
carbineone1964 said:
Interesting, I really do not see alot about how they were actually located. It would be good to know more about the search process and how they were able to actually find em. That really looks like it is not in that bad of condition considering..

Rivers shift, floods, stuff gets buried. Kinda amazing they actually found em.

I never find anything like that when Scuba Diving.

Found a Civil War Hubcap once ;D
I doubt they really want to make it all that public.... they don't want pot hunters pillaging the area.... though I'm sure if someone did their research they could figure out the general area....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
According to the report, one cannon had been visible and was known locally as an "old pipe" sticking out of the water, probably the one shown with a lot of muzzle erosion.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I saw enough of the markings on the 9-in. Dahlgren shell gun to trace it back until it was cast at Ft. Pitt in 1862. I want to find out where the Rebs got it. Hopefully I can get to the National Archives soon to do that.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Cast at Fort Pitt in 1862, eh? Well, that does present a source mystery, now doesn't it. It could not have been liberated from a smouldering Gosport Navy Yard in Portsmouth after the state of Virginia seceeded from the U.S. on April 17, 1861 and Federal sailors and workmen under Commander McCauley torched the vast yard with it's huge powder storage magazines and 2,000 heavy naval cannon two days later.

We certainly wish you luck, cannonmn, because we just can't think of any Federal ships large enough to mount IX Dahlgren Shell Guns that were captured by the Rebels.

Mike & Tracy

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yes that ship is certainly a possibility-I'd have some doubts because she began active employment in January 1862, when all her initial battery would have been aboard, and IX in. Shell gun no. 513 had not yet been made. So no. 513 had to have been added later, which is certainly possible. Well, maybe we'll know for sure by tonight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts