Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thank's for the posting. I really don't think that folks today realize the scope, ferocity, or the total destruction involved in the war between the states. The U.S. has never seen an attack on the homeland (except for a few minor shellngs in Calif. during WW 11). This really brings home what war is about. I wish every kid in 8th grade and up to 12th grade could have a class every year detailing that war , what it was actually about, all repercussions afterwards, what would have happened if the South had won, and the aftermath unto today.
Great pictures.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Interesting being able to merge the present and past .....

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I would like to thank you for the photos, nice contrast. BTW Sid we have indeed been invaded by foreign forces before, they burned the White House down last time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for posting. The Devil's Den photo is known to be staged after the fact. There were photos staged when the photographer got to the scene too late. A give away is the lack of swelled bellies caused by gas. In true photos you can see the swelling causes buttons on shirts, jackets and trousers to pop. The Dunker Church photo surprises me by the lack of more bodies. The church was used as a confederate hospital and was a hotly contested property being won and lost several times by both sides. 23,000 men lost their lives at the battle of Antietam.
Civil war pictures were not popular after it ended. A great many glass negatives were lost. Many were sold to gardaners and used for green houses and the sun slowly erased thier engraved memory of this great war.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts