Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 45 colt is now ready to shoot .454 if needed and has a real throat. The job went pretty smoothly although I did go a few thou deeper than needed on the rim because the test round at max OAL 300 grain XTP felt snug in the rifling. Yesterday I shot around 20 some top end colt rounds (I4227 and 2400 with 250 XTP ) and it shoots better than I can hold at 50yds with a peep sight. My guess is that it would be touching holes if it were scoped. I would be comfortable hunting with the little rifle now but still want to play with load work up because it's so cool to shoot. I do understand why you guys want a recoil pad though - after the 1st dozen it does start to hurt. After the season will have to address the scope base issue because this one has the holes drilled off center as many carbines do...
Thanks to Dinny, CW and Tim for the great communication and advice. I now might have a Handi problem but I can quit anytime I want...

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Ha!! Great to read!! I know your gonna enjoy it!!

CW

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Just a warning for anyone reaming in the future, going deeper on the rim cut (unless it is too shallow but who has had that!) because the nose end seems too 'tight' is fraught with danger (of making a 'junk' barrel). The reamers are made for the intended brass and that is what you should be checking against, not a loaded round, as bullet ojive can cause interference (if the ojive is the contact change the bullet or seat it deeper).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.