Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe or better to sell parts separately or all together?

Say want to sell rifle, dies, brass and bullets.

Wondering if it is safer or can get more money for the deal either way.

Or just ebay the barrel ;)

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Usually make a little more separately. Can be a pain shipping.

Have no clue with Ebay...........selling here is the best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Separately.....
Too many people what to get all their money out of a package.....and price accordingly.

Example" You have a Handi Rifle for sale w/additional barrel....w/$100 buck scope, and $20 buck sling 100 rds of ammo and a set of dies.
So your rifle originally sold for $250 bucks, (now $300 maybe?).....spare barrel that you paid $120 from H&R....you add on the $120 for the scope and sling....another $100 bucks for dies and end up with a package $590 plus......Every one just walks on by....

I never pay for extra stuff, that I don't need or want.
I make the deal on the rifle.....THEN deal on the "stuff"

OR sell everything for $80 bucks....and you many times read the start of a thread......
"I just got a .357 Max for $80 bucks fro a old guy's wife........he died and she sold it for what he told her he bought it for......."

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I think some things go good together. Like if you have an odd caliber like say a 6.5 TCU barrel and a set of dies and or brass, they sell well together as most folks will need those too. But not always, they may already have what they need so flexibility is a good thing. I have seen someone wanting to sell an entire setup for $1000 to $2000 or maybe even a whole gun collection for thousands of dollars with the statement "will not split up". I seriously doubt they will ever sale it at that rate unless they find a dealer that believes he can turn a profit. Most folks into TCs are looking for the next barrel, not the next collection and do not want to drop thousands of dollars at one time. I prefer one at a time as that is all I can afford.

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Hunter 63, not in recent history has anyone bought an accessory barrel from H&R for 120 bucks. Adding another forty or so bucks to that is more realistic. There was fitting, shipping, etc. extra. If I weren't relaxing with a beverage, I'd dig through my file and give you the exact number. I think Tim has the numbers in his head, so I'm not going to bother.

I did bother: 19.00 shipping lower 48. 25.00 fitting. The 120.00 barrel is more like 164.00.

Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
petemi said:
Hunter 63, not in recent history has anyone bought an accessory barrel from H&R for 120 bucks. Adding another forty or so bucks to that is more realistic. There was fitting, shipping, etc. extra. If I weren't relaxing with a beverage, I'd dig through my file and give you the exact number. I think Tim has the numbers in his head, so I'm not going to bother.

I did bother: 19.00 shipping lower 48. 25.00 fitting. The 120.00 barrel is more like 164.00.

Pete
You did see the part about being an EXAMPLE?...Didn't you?
Illustration.....on package deals.....Per OP.
Not a discussion of current pricing and availability.

And the are plenty of people that bought barrels at $55 buck for rifles and $10 buck for fitting, another $10 buck for shipping., and $35 bucks for shotgun barrels.....mine started in 2005

Sooo, plug in what ever you want for numbers, was just making a point the no one is gonna give me $1000 buck for my first go around in 2005....Handi Rifle....and 10 additional fitted barrels.

Well, maybe they would, but I wouldn't sell it for that........ $300 bucks for the rifle maybe a good starting point.....but each of the other 9 barrels would be a deal at $150 bucks each.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
petemi said:

Pete
+tax and the cost to get your frame to Ilion in the first place, it all adds up!

Tim

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK y'all win.......I am not gonna argue barrel, shipping and fitting costs.....

I'll just be quite now....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Many times folks start out by trying to see what kind of interest is there by starting with a price for the set. It is usually easier to sell something sought after like 30-30, 357 mag, 45 colt or 22 Hornet and a few other calibers.

If you get a bunch of offers to buy parts if split then figure what you will need for each one plus shipping on each to get what you need out of the gun. Once you split up, barrels seem to go pretty fast along with stocks, while receivers take a little longer with more paperwork. All depends on what you have to sell!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
clearwater said:
Is it safe or better to sell parts separately or all together?

Say want to sell rifle, dies, brass and bullets.

Wondering if it is safer or can get more money for the deal either way.

Or just ebay the barrel ;)

In my experience:

• [li]Barrels will bring more on Ebay than they do here on GBO even after fees (Ebay will charge fees equal 13% of the total selling price +shipping)[/li]
    [li]Receivers can't be sold on Ebay as they are considered a firearm[/li]
    [li]Stocks sets sell for a little bit more on Ebay but the fees even that out.[/li]
    [li]Parting everything out brings more money but it is also more work[/li]

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If you want to sell for the most money, sell to the most uninformed audience (eBay); but be prepared for stupid questions.

If you want to get a fair price, sell to an informed audience (here); but then I would expect less stupid questions.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I've never got into selling H&R stuff on Ebay, we have a good family here that I'd rather see the stuff go to even if it means less money.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
I've never got into selling H&R stuff on Ebay, we have a good family here that I'd rather see the stuff go to even if it means less money.
I agree 100%. I never sold gun stuff on ebay, and haven't sold anything else there in 15 years. I had a .243 not selling in our classifieds. Guess what. The grandkid is getting it for Christmas.

Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree with keeping the Handi's and barrels in the family....at least people here will be appreciate them.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
+3. I have sold on eBay but only after listing items here for a while. I have regretted every sale on eBay too. :-\

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the poor availability and price of brass today I like to get my brass first before the barrel. I bought several package barrels with brass on here that worked out better than buying individually or buying new brass that is expensive. I would leave scopes and dies out of any package because everyone has different preferences and they are readily available, sometimes even cheaper buying new than quality old. I thought the used barrel market would dry up. I was wrong, it is more active with the highest prices ever. Still a good value if you enjoy it. Enjoy the availability while it lasts.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You will get more selling parts, but the buyer should have the option to get the receiver the barrel is fitted to.

Some people, especially Pete, do not want to change barrels but to have complete guns ready to use as wanted and I don't disagree with him. A deer rifle that can only be used for 2-4 weeks might be suitable for a switch barrel combo with a shotgun that can be used for game 3-4 months and as a pest gun the rest of the year. For this combo, the rifle receiver would be preferred over a shotgun receiver, no matter what caliber the rifle barrel is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts