Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ya'll clean your BP guns Saturday night if you are going back for a Sunday shoot? If so, is it a full-blown cleaning?
thanks,

·
Registered
59 Posts
:D I do . I clean them just like for a one day shoot . It gives me something to do before the campfires get started in the evening .

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
:-D Ranger, I'm gonna make you a Ballistol fan before all is said and done! Shot Black Powder last Sunday in the rain, when we were done shooting, I gave everything a lite coat of ballistol. When I got home I pushed a patch wet with 10% Ballistol/90% water through the cylinders and bores. I cleaned them last night(saturday). Nothing growing on them, no rust, and cleaning was just another patch of ballistol/water, dry patch, patch/100% ballistol then wipe'em down with the cloth I use to catch the overspray. 4 guns, 30 minutes and it took that long because I was watching a movie and cleaning during commercials.
The first time or two you use the stuff you'll wonder what all the hullabaloo is about. Doesen't seem any different than any other product, maybe even not as good. After you start using it more, you'll start noticing that cleanup starts getting easier and quicker. Even if you don't detail clean every time, when you do, you'll find that where the "moose milk" (1:10 ; ballistol:water) has run into the action, there will be an oily collection of dirt suspended in the ballistol and the water has evaporated, but not the normal built up crust that is so familiar with other products.
Yes, I understand that the grit is abrasive, just as with any cleaning short of detail striping, but THIS grit is lubricated, in suspension, and easily removed.

Maybe I oughta be a rep for Ballistol! :-D Ya think they'd give me a discount? :eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do not clean inbetween matches or practice if there are no more than a just a few days between. If I'm going from the cold outdoors into a warm building; I clean them enough to keep condensation from forming. If I get bored or need to do some think'n; then I'll go off to myself and clean the guns just to pass the time. Once ya find ways to load without developing the hard fouling that robs accuracy or binds the actions, there is no real need to clean them like kitchenware. Of course, if you think all lubes are created equal for BP; then you had better clean after 5 stages and swab after all others, and spray and dittle and let everyone else pick up the brass fer ya and eat yer supper, and do yer socializin' and such.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
:D Slim, after all this time, I just now realized we're neighbors. You ever do any shootin in east Ky? Thought it might be nice ta meet ya and maybe shoot a match together sometime.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ashland and Morehead are not too awful far. Nor would be Pikeville or Fort Gay. My main problem to work out will be getting around my kid's sprots schedule this spring and summer.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Pigeonroost Slim said:
....getting around my kid's sprots schedule this spring and summer.
:) :) :) Lordy! Do I remember what that's like!! :) :) :)

If ya find a lull some time, gimme a hollar. I always wanted to shoot at Morehead when my youngest was there, just never seemed to work out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
At a multiday shoot I spend a bit more time with rifle than anything else. I will clean it up as usual. My shotgun is easy. Shoot some windex down the barrels and then force 1/2 a paper towel down each barrel and it is clean as a whistle. I lube with siicone spray lubricant. That's right. I tried ballistol and all and I don't see what the fuss is all about. Now for cartridge handguns I will pull the cylinders and use a bore snake with windex and again lube with silicone spray lubricant and stick the pistols in those large freezer bags to keep the air out. My cap and balls I clean the barrel with a bore snake too, but my cylinders need more care and I tooth brush the nipples and I swab the cylinders with windex and stuff the works in the plastic airtight bags. This works just fine for me. Your mileage may vary. I have a very hard time getting true BP around my area, so I use pyrodex and this year I am using American Pioneer exclusively. You won't hear many tell you that they don't love ballistol, but it builds a gooey mess in the lockworks when used straight and I have found numerous rusty parts from using a 10/1 mix and not getting the water out of there. My first cleaning methods was the old Murphy soap.peroxide/alcohol mix followed by a virgin olive oil lube. I have since debunked the no mineral lube near a bp gun myth. I use breakfree for near everything. However, unless you are shooting American Pioneer or 777 I would stick to bp lubes, cookies and crisco for bullet lubing, as mineral lubes will make a mess out of your chambers and barrels. That is my 2¢ and like most other bp shooters you will just do what is best for you and your conditions. Folks that I shoot with know I never have much trouble with my irons. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts