Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you find a cleaning rod that'll clear a 32" to 34" barrel? I'm using a 34" front stuffer rod, but I'm having to shove it through the breech with my pinkie to be able to pull it out the muzzle end.

·
Registered
74 Posts
cleaning rod

:grin: Cheers,

Due to the stock design on mine, I always have to clean from the front.

I use two different rods - one for the range and one for home. Don't know the name on the one for home, but it's got 44 inchs of stroke and a swivel handle - pricy, too.

For the range, I use a military style "take down" - I got mine with the MP-7 cleaning kit. They'll even send you extra "pieces" if it's too short for your barrel. Nice people to deal with.

Gentle winds,
cr

·
Registered
84 Posts
:eek: :eek:
The solid rod is ok BUT to keep the stuff out of the reciver and all get a BORE SNAKE; drop the string down the barrel from the reciver end and pull it through with oil on the end of the snake and you got a clean gun! rolls up nice and drop in your shooting box carry one for each rifle, pistol, and shotgun

·
Registered
507 Posts
Peddler Parsons, I've always wondered how well the bore snakes work. What happens when they get really cruddy. Do you have to toss them or can they be cleaned. And is there any concerns about passing a slightly soiled one down your bore. Thanks.
Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ya'll, but now I got another question! I stopped by the local gun & pawn and told'em to order ma a 44", 35 and up Dewey rod, but I just noticed on their web site that the BP&shotgun rod appears the same except for threading. Rifle rod being male and the BP rod female, are there other differences??? I know that they would have ordered which ever came up first in the catalogue the were looking at so I'm not sure which it's going to be. Is it going to matter???

·
Registered
507 Posts
I recently had the same decision to make, and choose the rod with the male end since it was the only one available in the length I wanted. Personally since all jags and rod attachments I have are male, I would have preferred a rod with a female end. But I do have an adapter, which will allow me to go either way, or it may have come with one, I don't remember. As BW is fond of saying CRS is ****

:eek:h: :yeah:, I don't what to hear any snide remarks from you guys about being a “switch hitter”. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
84 Posts
:D

No problem at all the ruffled front will pull a lot out and fall off and the brush cleans the rest and the long cord wipes it down and oil at the end.
When it get dirty just wash in soapy water and hang up to dry, been using one for 2 years now and clean about evey other month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have any of you fellows ever tried a Otis cleaning system? I got one for Christmas and it works great! Check out their site, i think it's Otis.com . J Winks

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, maybe I answered this one on another channel. Get a Pro Shot 54" stainless rod. Also, wrap the aluminum, knurled handle with elecrticians tape to save the stock. You won't buy another cleaning rod in your life.

TL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cleaning rods

I use a 1 piece 50 cal machinegun armor's rod with a derlin chamber guide that a friend made for me out of some derlin rod material. It has a tee handle and a second milled slot for another patch to keep the rod from bangin on the crown but I seldom use it. This rod has been used on 2 Shiloh Sharps rifles for the past nine years both have over 10,000 rounds down range as of this writing and Kirk Bryan recently had both rifles and looked over the barrels and both looked very good. The 50 cal one peice rods work very Well Lonestar also markets a very nice cleaning rod with a offset handle to prevent bangin your knuckles on the rear sight. I clean from the breech and dont pull anything back into the action even so I remove the breech block and clean it at lest 3 times a season.
I know several friends that used the flexable rods from muzzle stuffer supply companys and ruined the chamber and throats with these rods in 1 shooting season. Of course these guys shoot 12 to 15 matches a year plus the nationals.

I will stick to my 50 cal cleaning rods as they dont do any damage ( used correctly and with some common sense) to the barrel. Many rebarrel jobs are because improper cleaning methods were applied ask any professional gun smith.

Kenny Wasserburger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts