Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SIL is a manager of a southeastern fast food restaurant. He said they are running out of change, and the banks sometimes doesn't have change. What gives?

Some say Trump wants to go back to the gold standard. Some say the government wants to go to a cashless society.

·
23,845 Posts
Well, with most folks carrying "debit cards" these days, and the other folks carrying money clips vs billfolds, and very little change I can see that.
I hate carrying change, and the few times a month I use actual promissory notes(what some call money) the first thing I do with the change I get when I get home is drop it in a can in my bedroom.

·
23,845 Posts
Just saw on the news what you were talking about.
Blows my theory outta tha water. 🤣

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
"Money" is really just a convenience of exchange, so you don't have to have exactly what someone wants to exchange for what YOU want. If you want to see the economy really revert to the "stone age" get rid of money. How many chickens a day/hour will you work for???

·
23,845 Posts
There is no "money". All we have left is printed paper "promissory notes" that used to be backed by gold.

Not any more.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I’m guessing this outfit I’m working for would procure worn out nesting hens, then offer them up like thanksgiving turkeys.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
24,482 Posts
Some places now have signs put up that say they do not take cash. Only credit or debit cards accepted.

·
Registered
244 Posts
"Money" is really just a convenience of exchange, so you don't have to have exactly what someone wants to exchange for what YOU want. If you want to see the economy really revert to the "stone age" get rid of money. How many chickens a day/hour will you work for???
In a cashless society there would be no way to escape draconian taxes and fees. In the years before the Soviet Union fell, taxes became so draconian that much of the population went to a barter system. Many goods and services were exchanged for other goods or services, and I'm sure even chickens. :tango_face_smile: It helped to accelerate the fall of a totally corrupted empire that was doomed anyway.
During this recent shut down, there were more than a few folks working "under the table" for cash. Without cash, it could have easily gone to bartering for goods or services.
Considering the current state of our own corrupted federal and state governments, it might not be a bad idea, and even necessary for survival at some point, and may help accelerate the draining of the "swamp".
So,... how many chickens for that JM stamped Marlin .35 ya got there? I'll throw in a quarter beef and a wiring job for that out building..:tango_face_grin:

·
24,482 Posts
Folks out here are already bartering. Due to over taxation and all the complications there in. I wired a ranchers barn with overhead lighting in one of his barns. That's why we have all that beef in our freezer :).

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found out that both the Philadelphia and Denver mints were shut down part of April due to Covid-19. Not printing coins caused the shortage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Found out that both the Philadelphia and Denver mints were shut down part of April due to Covid-19. Not printing coins caused the shortage.
I responded to this observation on another forum.

I did so by counting - and dating - the change I had received that day.

This was my response:

The slowed production on new coins has had a SERIOUS IMPACT in my area. (NOT!)

For instance, we don't usually see coins with the current year until July or so - sometimes a couple of years after the coin was produced.

I date my woodworking projects by inserting a penny for the current year into a 3/4" forstner hole somewhere in the project. My brother-in-law in the "big city" is usually the first one to find the current year's pennies. I get them from him around June.

So . . . . this coin shortage has nothing to do with production - at least not in my part of the world. The coins I receive are almost always 3 to 5 years old.

For instance the coins I received in change today: quarters - 1991(2 ea), 2002(2 ea), 2004, 2008; dimes - 2014, 2017; nickel - 1964; pennies - 1977, 1991, 2000, 2003

In conclusion - serious scientific investigation conducted mere minutes ago demonstrates that reduced coin production due to the COVID 19 virus has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any "national coin shortage". Its gotta be true. It is based on science.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts