Graybeard Outdoors banner

Colt 1911 Government Model And Beyond

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bad Mike 
#1 ·
https://gundigest.com/handguns/colt-1911-government-model-and-beyond?utm_source=engageim

By Karl Karash -August 21, 2018

The 1911 has come a long way since Colt’s original 1911 Government Model.

The differences between Colt 1911 Models in .45 ACP:

Government: 5-inch barrel, 8+1 capacity (originally 7+1).

Commander: 4.25-inch barrel, 8+1 capacity.

Officer: 3.5-inch barrel, 6 and 7+1 capacity.

Defender: 3-inch barrel, 7+1 capacity.

The venerable Model 1911A1 was manufactured by Colt (and others during World War II) until 1971. Shortly after the war, Colt introduced a new gun, the Commander, which was based on the Colt 1911 Government design. This gun was essentially a shortened version of the A1 and was manufactured with a 4.25-inch barrel. Formerly, a 5-inch barrel had been the standard for full size semi-autos. The new gun was the first to feature an aluminum frame. It was a startling innovation at the time because the handgun mindset was mostly limited to steel. Nevertheless, the shooting public readily accepted the Commander.

Early commercial Colt 1911 Government Model.

Subsequently, Colt produced the same pistol with a steel frame and named this more traditional model a “Combat Commander.” Ever since, the term “Commander” has been used to designate 1911s that have 4.25-inch barrels. (The aluminum-framed gun was eventually, but not immediately, dubbed the “Lightweight Commander.”)

Not long afterward, Colt introduced a pistol with a 3.5-inch barrel, looking to develop a firearm that would satisfy the concealed carry market. Colt called this gun the “Officer’s Model.” It had a shorter length overall frame and used lightweight six-round magazines. This model name is used today to denote the smallest versions of particular models, versions with shorter barrels and frames.

Combat Commander, blued finish

In the 1970s, the MK IV Series 70 Government Model superseded the standard Government Model. The main modifications in the new model were a slightly heavier slide and a slotted collet barrel bushing.

In 1983 Colt introduced its MK IV Series 80 models, which had an additional passive firing pin safety lock that did not allow the pistol to fire if the trigger was not pulled to the end of its travel. Although some people feel that the change had a negative effect on trigger pull, it is probably a necessary evil in a highly litigious world. Still, it has not been completely accepted by higher level competition shooters who want a “decent trigger pull” on their firearms. (An identical firing pin safety mechanism is also used by the way in high-capacity pistols from Para Ordnance.) At this time, the half-**** notch was also redesigned.

Mk IV Series 80 Officer’s ACP

In the 1990s, Colt developed an “Enhanced Series” of 1911s. These were of course modified Series 80 pistols, with several factory alterations that many serious shooters would previously have performed by a custom gunsmith. The alterations included a beavertail grip safety, beveled magazine well, flared ejection port and a notch underneath the rear of the trigger guard, which allowed the pistol to sit lower in the shooter’s hand.

At the beginning of 1992 another change was made and the resulting model was designated the 1991A1. Colt then recommended this pistol, with its flat mainspring housing, as an updated version of their classic 1911. Included in the series were the Government models, the Commander, the Officer’s model, the Gold Cup and the Combat Elite.

Colt Model O Series 90 Defender

All of these enhancements — along with caliber choices — were the result of Colt’s desire to meet shooters’ demand for a more customized pistol. Colt selected several of the most popular modifications to incorporate in their new and enhanced models. The changes included a beavertail safety grip, a slotted Commander style hammer, a relief cut under the trigger guard, a beveled magazine well, a slightly longer trigger, a flat top rib and angled slide serrations. Consequently, from its earliest incarnation – which the casual observer would with difficulty distinguish from the latest – the Model 1911A1 may be the most modified handgun in the world.

Editor’s Note: This is an excerpt from the Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms, 2nd Edition.

#2 ·
Oh yes! The first two however are my favorites. There is just something about the 1911 or the 1911A1 that it immediately comes to hand, and fits. I'll take mine with a beavertail grip safety and a flat mainspring housing, and popssibly a little trigger work if it's necessary. I have a new Commander, only about 700 rounds down range, brushed aluminum frame and a stainless slide with all the bells and whistles and brother can she shoot. Feels a hair thicker in my hand than the government model but it fits just right. Fairly light weight even carrying 9 rounds.

#3 ·
I'm a big fan of Combat Commander with the "Colt Guard" matte nickel finish, the wood grips with the gold medallion.

But you don't see them to often.

Otherwise I just like the G.I. model with a park'ed finish, ideally with that green tinge some get, LOL!

That said, it really could use a double action trigger.

#8 ·
Well I have finally got my own 1911. Last week I traded my last Glock, a model 21 for a new Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator. It has the Parkerized finish and light rail. The trigger pull is very decent and I can't wait to take it to the range. I may have to change my screen name to glocklessmeister, ain't that a mouthful, oh well. I am looking forward to a long run of fine shooting with my SA 1911. Take care, John.

#13 ·
I'll go with darkgael on this one and believe the Springer will do the job.

My new Colt Lightweight Commander ran reliably right out of the box and plants them center bull at 25 yds with a 6:00 hold. My Springfield Government Model shot a 7" group, seven inches high and seven inches to the left and wouldn't close up or center regardless of what I did until I dropped a Ed Brown barrel and bushing into it and for the last 15-16 years she has hit dead on the bull at 50 yds with a poa/poi hold, reloads of course but just sayin'.....

Another one that worked absolutely perfectly right out of the box was my Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super. And now that some genius replicated the original 9mm truncated bullet profile in a cast 147 gn flatnose I iz in a happy place. Also just sayin'......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.