Graybeard Outdoors banner

Colt Commander 45acp

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Steve E 
#1 ·
Friend bought a new Commander in Stainless last year for $900 since he is mainly a Kimber shooter he offered it to me for $6oo and I leaped on it. Only change I made was to add USAF grips.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
That's nice, pretty much a colt in good condition is a deal at that price.
I have a Kimber compact I've owned probably 20yrs or more. It's basically a commander length slide on an officers size frame. I like it, it shoots good, reliable.
I used to have a colt govt model, but someone wanted it bad enough, and paid the price I gave.
A friend had one of the tiny Kimber 3" 1911s. Had nothing but troubles. That thing was flippy. Also, you had to hold it with a white knuckle death grip to get it to run decently. He sold it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
With standard loads she sits in the hand just fine. Had some rounds that turned out to be +P and recoil had me pointing at the roof between shots. Gold Dot personal protection sits in the hand just fine also.

#9 ·
Well Kid, seems to me you got a great deal on that Colt. I'd be willing to bet that it will keep the bad guys at bay, not to mention it is a great shooter. Take care, John.:tango_face_smile:

#10 ·
When I was in Korea in 52 Second month I was there a fellow service man was on his way home the next day and he sold me a super nice commander in 9 mm along with a box of ammo and a leather shoulder holster for 75.00 almost a month pay for me could not bring guns home I carried it for a year and sold it to a fellow service member for 85.00 sure wish I had it now. I have a LLama clone but not the same as the colt I keep looking but have never found one that I can afford.

Deaconllb

#12 ·
Same here. Well not the Korea part.....but would love a full size Colt 1911. Just can't see payin a thousand bucks for a nice one.

#15 ·
Kid: I'm not sold on Kimbers or anything else as being more reliable of functional than the Lightweight Commander. My first one lasted 44 years and over 10,000 rounds of ball ammo and reloads before the frame cracked in 3 places. My new Lightweight Commander, aluminum frame and stainless slide has all the bells and whistles I wanted on the old one. The new one has hiccoughed only once and that was a magazine issue on the first loading; since then it has been totally reliable and functions perfectly with plain ball ammo. Truthfully, in a 45 bore I can not see the need for hollow points. The only way to truly improve on the effectiveness of a 45 acp slug is to shoot a flat nosed bullet, either a swc or a rnfp at twixt 850-900'/sec. Hope this helps.

#16 ·
DEACONLLB

Check out Sarco and RIA 45's, I caught a sale about two years ago (I think it was $279.00 brand new). I put probably two thousand rounds through it so far and it is still humming along with no problem. I also have a couple of Kimbers and several Colt 1911's. While the finish on the RIA (standard parkerizing)is not as nice as the Kimbers or Colts it is just as serviceable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or buy one again.

Steve.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.