Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Colt New Frontier in 44 Spl,5 1/2in Bbl.
This is the 1st one I have seen that had a 5 1/2 in Bbl. Most have been 7 1/2 or a few in 4 3/4 in. I always wanted one eversince I had shot a friends New Frontier many yrs ago and I kinda fell into this one at a price I couldn't ( or wouldn't) refuse. Anyone ever have one of these? Its has been shot (very little) and I will be shooting it also.

Anyone know how many of these have been made ? I have been looking on the web but, Not to much info available on the New Frontier model.
Thanks........ 8)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello Iowahunter,

you'll grow to love that .44spl,

A while back I walked into a goodly supply of .44spl brass at a gunstore. The owner said that everyone had "magnum mania" and he couldn't sell it to anyone,even at a discount-Well except me!
For years I have been shooting a .44 spl modest load (5.5 gr unique and a cast 240 swc) in my .44 mag vaquero, It sure is a lot more pleasant than the full power stuff, and very accurate too.
Have fun with that gun! Rvtrav

·
Registered
213 Posts
Iowahunter,

I almost forgot to mention that oldguns.net (perhaps oldguns.com) has a page where you can type in the model and serial # of your firearm and it will tell you the date of manufacture. there is also a lot of information as to prodution dates, and quantities produced.
yours is likley new enough that it has a pedigree, many of the old Colts are lost to history or aproximated because of several fires at the Colt plant over the years that destroyed records.
Good luck-Rvtrav

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I'll look it up tonight if I have time.
I have a Smith&Wesson 696 in 44spl that I really enjoy shooting and I know I'll enjoy this one also. Where are you at in Utah ? Last couple of yrs I have gone to the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree in Richfield. Beautiful country in that area. Can't make it this yr but, will give it a shot for next yr. Thanks again : )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts