Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in MA where 1911's and their clones are no longer availabe on the "new" market. What we can get is only what was in state prior to 10/98. Resultingly, used 1911 clones ( even beet ones) are worth twice what they used to be and Colts are worth their weight in gold.
So last night I'm in my local shop and run into a freeshly displayed Series 70 gold cup national match ( in 97%) condition. The gun had two slides one with a new match barrel and bushing, bomar rib and extended front sight. The other with a early style compensated barrel. ( I heard angles singing:) The owner is a friend of mine and offered me a deal that couldn't be refused. ( I also knew that the gun wouldn't be around two days if I left it there.) It went home with me.
Anyway, after getting it home, I noticed two "odd things" by my way of thinking. ( Not disapointing , just odd.)
1) The slide stop does not engage when the gun is cycled on any empty mag. It has to be physicly activated via the lever. Is this common w the series 70 or do I have a faulty part.
2) the compensated barrel bells out just before the comp. This Bell seems to replace the barrel bushing I'm accustomed to on 1911's. I.e there is no bushing. Anybody know if this is normal for a custom barrel set up. Seems to me there would be wear on the slide ?

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With the slide stop, 1 of 2 things, either the follow from the magizine is not engageing the stop(cuase is mag spring to weak or the follower leg is bent down) try with new magizine, or your slide stop has been altered not to lock up on a empty mag.

Second the bull barrel you refer to is completely normal and you should not lose any sleep over that.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
DEANS GUNSHOP II

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron

I tried 3 different mags ( that do work in my stock springfield Armory 1911a1 so it must be the latter.

I'll try switching the stop from the springfield to see if thats the case tonight..
Thanks for the confirmation on teh custom slide/barrel as well. I thought it was OK ( and it fits togeather nicely, just had never seen anything like it.
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
barrel

Tapered barrel is not normal, but is one way (I think Jimmy Clark started this) doing things a few decades back. Colt themselves went to this when they couldn't get the officers model to unlock quick enough when using a bushing and then the custom guys tried it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts