Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the value of this beast? It appears to Golt Gaurd plated because it deffinately isn't stainless. It has normal holster wear and the grips are a little worn but it has less than 100 rounds through it. I want it for a shooter and was considering having it shipped back to Colt for some refinishing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Could be $450, could be $650. Lots of variables. Is it a lightweight model, or the combat commander? Old barrel style (headspace on the semi-rim), or new barrel style (headspace on the case mouth)? Is it in the box or not? Has it been "gunsmithed," and did the guy know what he was doing? How much are you willing to pay? (That is ultimately how much its worth.)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's never been worked on, there is no box, it's a Combat Commander that head spaces on the rim. It's just got holster wear from being a carry piece. I got it for $300. Did I do right?

·
Registered
381 Posts
$300!!! You don't feel guilty, do you. That was a super price. The Combat Commander would be my choice if I was going to shoot it a lot.
You might consider a Barsto replacement barrel if you run into accuracy problems, or you can tailor your loads so they headspace on the bullet by seating them a bit long. Watch the pressure if you go the long seated route. Adding a 9MM barrel would be about all you need to add an additional caliber.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Cmmr in 38 Super

Flash: Good Buy! Bob-K is right on the money with his advice and I think you got the best of both worlds - a great caliber and the right pistol for it.

I too would opt for a Bar-Sto barrel - they are excellent pieces of quality craftsmanship. They headspace on the casemouth rather than on the 38 Super's narrow rim and give excellent accuracy. I believe they offer them in two different bore diameters, one to accept 9mm diameter bullets and one to accept 38/357 diameter bullets and in that regard the choice is yours.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
134 Posts
:D Are you sure that your Commander is not the satin nickle finish? I have two of them, a 45 and a 38 Super. Both are 60 series and have fine adjustable sights. Some years ago I did install a Bar-sto barrel on the Super; it has made quite a difference in accuracy. The 45 has standard colt bbl. I put Hogue grips on the 38 and Pachmayrs on the 45. The Combat Commanders are excellent weapons and will give you rears of trouble free service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts