Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buck and Schrade are both well-made knives.
All of mine are 10+ years old so I’m not familiar with the quality of the new ones.
A Schrade PH2 was my go-to skinning knife for years. My last couple of years hunting I started using a Havalon knife. Hard to beat skinning with a replaceable scalpel blade.
Another brand that I love (not USA made) is Puma, especially those made in Germany.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have some nice vintage knives, most of which were bought used, but never used; some in the original boxes. Not all were mint as they'd been stored and likely forgotten about, before bing found and sold. I have several more U.S. made knives that are custom made, but are presently locked in a display case.

All vintage U.S. made knives here. Top to Bottom: A Case XX Arapaho, A NAHC Hunting Heritage with ram horn that I'm pretty sure was made by Bear MGC, Another Bear MGC with laminate scales, and an Uncle Henry 144 staglon

Tableware Vertebrate White Green Knife

Top to Bottom: Parker Edwards with stag scales and damascus steel blade, new Buck 692, and an ALCAS (Alcoa & CASe partnership) with very pretty stag scales

Vertebrate Knife Utility knife Blade Natural material

Almost left this one out after finding it and getting the pics done. Another very nice Bear MGC with what they call Stag Bone scales. I'd think that means jigged bone. I wasn't a big fan of this blade type until I bought some. Feels very good in hand and is plenty of blade for gutting chores.

Grey Tableware Knife Utility knife Hunting knife

·
24,175 Posts
We had marble arms here for most of my life. they were bought out and now are in texas and import most of there crap from china. But when they folded up here there two best knife makers started there own companys. One is bark river knife company and the other is rapid river knife company. They both make great knives. Bark river knives are more what i consider working knives and rapid river (still a great knife) are a bit more on the fancy side. They make quality stuff. Real steel and not stainless.

Reactions: 336ER

·
Registered
924 Posts
I pulled a couple more Limited Edition U.S. made knives from a display

Top to bottom: Schrade scrimshaw with Grizzly bear, Schrade Ducks Unlimited from early '80s (this knife has a high shine blued blade) and 1994 NKCA knife by Bear MGC

Utility knife Hunting knife Material property Everyday carry Knife
Feather Font Quill Fashion accessory Metal
Hat Font Electric blue Emblem Symbol
Grey Font Beige Fashion accessory Pattern

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
These knives fail in comparison to the beauties you guys have posted, but they have a lot of sentimental value to me.

The 2 blade Kabar was given to me by my dad for Christmas 40+ years ago. A couple years back I left it in a gut pile and drove 70 miles and spent a couple hours looking for it in a blizzard. Decided to retire it after that. Only knife I ever carried deer hunting up till that day.

The single blade knife says Union Cut something on one side and I think Kabar on the other. Writing is pretty worn. This knife belonged to Mom's Dad and he gave it to my Dad, who gave it to me right before he passed. This was the only knife my Dad carried deer hunting his entire life. I was never allowed to touch it :LOL:

I appreciate you guys posting up. Made me dig these out and clean them up a little. Lots of great memories. (y)

Knife Blade Utility knife Everyday carry Cutlery

·
Registered
924 Posts
These knives fail in comparison to the beauties you guys have posted, but they have a lot of sentimental value to me.

The 2 blade Kabar was given to me by my dad for Christmas 40+ years ago. A couple years back I left it in a gut pile and drove 70 miles and spent a couple hours looking for it in a blizzard. Decided to retire it after that. Only knife I ever carried deer hunting up till that day.

The single blade knife says Union Cut something on one side and I think Kabar on the other. Writing is pretty worn. This knife belonged to Mom's Dad and he gave it to my Dad, who gave it to me right before he passed. This was the only knife my Dad carried deer hunting his entire life. I was never allowed to touch it :LOL:

I appreciate you guys posting up. Made me dig these out and clean them up a little. Lots of great memories. (y)

View attachment 262243
Very nice! 👍

·
Registered
886 Posts
336, i have a couple of those bear mgc knives, they are pretty good for stain free, very good fit and finish.
any one have any old westerns? i believe they were made in NY state. the two i have are carbon steel, the one i have had 40 years, broke the tip, reshaped it and kept using it. really good steel and they were reasonably priced at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts