Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a seat in a concealed carry class, and was wondering what to do. I've never really gave it much thought as whenever I felt the need to be "strapped" I was and quite honestly I never gave the "concealed" part much thought either. It was either on my hip or across my chest in my Pistol Packaging rig. The wife and I are doing more camping, some in Bear Country and they thought of ole Bill, my .41 Blackhawk napping under a motel bed is comforting in these troubled times. Heres the deal the class is $75.00 for 8 eight hrs of instruction, then I send an app to tthe county sheriff along with another $40 and get fingerprinted and then another $100 to the state A.G. and I've got a carry permit for four years.(Darn I' just about typed my self out of it.)Any and all advice and opinions are welcome, I teach school so you can't hurt my feelings(ask my students they will tell I "aint got none.") So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Here in VA we are an open carry state so I never felt the need for one.
Makes it a little tuff during the winter months as you have to make sure your coat doesn't hide it.
With open carry I can go into a bank while a concealed permit holder can not.
Sure I will be watched and maybe questioned but there is nothing they can do about it as long as I am legal to have a hand gun.
I always thought that if I was carrying concealed and a perp wanted to rob me he might think I wasn't packing and try it (HIS MISTAKE), but if it was out in the open where he could see it then he might just think twice, and if he doesn't then he is either a dumb A#$ or a real nut.
They don't need my prints on file.
If I do something wrong and they catch me then they can get them.
I know some people feel differently about this then I do and I am sure you will hear from them also.
For me, as long as we have open carry then that is the way I will go!

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
go for it

i am always armed and no one knows it

long tom i am glad you are out there makeing a statement for us gun owners

some times i wish we had open carry like you do so i could ''show off'' my guns

but if i had to have ''either or'' id go concealed

when hunting i some times carry my 44 mag concealed
in a home made belly bad holster...made from a velcro back supporter

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
''show off'' my guns

I hope that isn't meant the way it sounds.?

Do you have a CC Permit?
If you don't then you are breaking the law while hunting.

LONGTOM

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do it.

Vermont is just do whatever you want when you want. I carry daily because I have the right to. No silencers in VT, but everything else is game. Moving to SC in a few weeks and will be going through the same process I imagine with the wife by my side. Vermont is nice, except the people, the taxes, and the winters.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
In Ga. we don't technically have open carry. If you are on your own property, or in your vehicle, or on land you hunt and the weapon is not concealed you are legal. Anywhere else you need a permit.

I kinda' like the idea that nobody knows but me....

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
We have cc here in OK, no open carry outside of hunting and shooting ranges.
I had a permit for 10 years. Didn't renew for a couple years. Just renewed it for 10 more.
Given a choice between open and concealed I would rather they didn't know I had it.
I always kind of figured if I had an open I might be an early target in a bad situation.
But also that situation may never happen if the bad guy knows there's armed people around.
Catch 22.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
LONGTOM said:
''show off'' my guns

I hope that isn't meant the way it sounds.?

Do you have a CC Permit?
If you don't then you are breaking the law while hunting.

LONGTOM

tom that is what it means

i think
no offence meant to you of corse

i am proud of my guns ..espeacially my 5 inch 44

i just wish i could ''show it off'' in public and not feel the need to hide it

i am liscenced and carry a 357 daily

lots of peole carry in florida
non-gun folks have no idea how many of us carry
with open carry like you do....guns would be more socially accepted
us concealled carry folks are still ''in the closet''
[no in the closet is not what some mean it to mean lol]

sorry if you took my earlyer post wrong

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Here in Alaska we are a right to carry state. We do not need anything to carry openly or concealed.

I did get my Concealed Carry permit so I can carry when I go to Florida every year. I believe there is 35 states that have reciprocity, meaning they honor other states concealed carry permits.

My friend in Florida was glad I had it on me last February when a guy came into the shop with a big Bowie knife to rob the place. When I pulled my jacket back and the guy saw the gun he forgot all about the robbery and ran.

Plus there is a lot of good information given out at that class. The class in Alaska is $100.00, then another $100.00 to the state for the permit.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
gov:

Wasn't sure quite how to take it, that's why I had to ask.
Now I understand the tone you meant it in.
No problem.
I have some really nice ones also but carry a beat up Vaquero in 45 colt.
It does have nice stags though.
If I was going to show off it would be my matched pair of fully engraved stainless VIRGINIA DRAGOONS in 44 mag with stags also.

Now that's show off. ;)

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
bkraft: go for the class and get the license. They most absolute best thing you can ever do for yourself is to be legal and if you are in a state where you have the option, elect the option - it makes you even more legal.

I would love to live somewhere I could carry openly but I'm not so sure I would exercise that option in public - if I was at a bbq at the gun club that is one thing but in open public I sort of doubt it - too many absolutely stupid people out there and far too many who see a openly carried handgun and think they are quick enough to get it away from the owner before he can retain it. I don't know what the hay is the matter with idiots today, except that they continually have to prove themselves to be idiots as they always have, but too many of them would not think twice about trying to get a openly carried handgun away from its owner. Must be the drugs, or the time spent thrashing around the gene pool that has watered down their ability to think, but I prefer concealed carry for my own protection. jmtcw.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I just got mine recently so I say yeah, go ahead & get one. I think it's a good idea to be able to legally carry for ones protection. I also think that if more people apply for permits and exercise their gun rights, the less likely they are to be taken away.
Of coures that's just me.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
LONGTOM said:
gov:

Wasn't sure quite how to take it, that's why I had to ask.
Now I understand the tone you meant it in.
No problem.
I have some really nice ones also but carry a beat up Vaquero in 45 colt.
It does have nice stags though.
If I was going to show off it would be my matched pair of fully engraved stainless VIRGINIA DRAGOONS in 44 mag with stags also.

Now that's show off. ;)

LONGTOM

thats not showing off
thats rubbing my nose in it

i can' carry in public....nothing i can do about that

i can't post pictures either

now i HAVE to learn how.......I'LL BE BACK

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I saw a nice quote from an unknown person, "Open carry protects you, Concealed carry protects everone". Here in WA there is open carry, for concealed carry you pay $55.25 and it is yours, no classes just apply and you get it in 30 days or less. It is worth doing if for nothing more than never having to worry about being legal. Larry

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
We have open carry hear in NC. However I got a CCW and prefer to carry concealed. Showing your weapon draws too much attention IMO. Some nitwits get nervous and call the law. Then you have to waist time proving to a cop your legal and answering dumb questions. Then if some nut job comes out of the woodwork bent on shooting up some place you happen to be in, a visible gun is like a billboard screaming "SHOOT ME FIRST!" No thanks the fewer people who know I'm armed the better.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Brett said:
We have open carry hear in NC. However I got a CCW and prefer to carry concealed. Showing your weapon draws too much attention IMO. Some nitwits get nervous and call the law. Then you have to waist time proving to a cop your legal and answering dumb questions. Then if some nut job comes out of the woodwork bent on shooting up some place you happen to be in, a visible gun is like a billboard screaming "SHOOT ME FIRST!" No thanks the fewer people who know I'm armed the better.
i spend a good deal of time in NC
can i carry open there as a florida resident?
i know my concealed permit is good there
at a boat ramp a cop stotted my sons gun in the canoe
we were harrased for about 15 minutes,,,guns held and returned ect

concealed is so much simpeler

JUST SAD I FEEL THE NEED TO HIDE MY CHOISES

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
trotterlg said:
I saw a nice quote from an unknown person, "Open carry protects you, Concealed carry protects everone". Here in WA there is open carry, for concealed carry you pay $55.25 and it is yours, no classes just apply and you get it in 30 days or less. It is worth doing if for nothing more than never having to worry about being legal. Larry
Now if we had that here in Va I might consider it then I would have the choice.
It's not that I mind the classes or the paper work and back ground check, I just don't see where they need to finger print you and then they leave it up to the police to either approve or turn you down.
Neither of these should matter if you pass all the hurdles.

Sorry gov.
I am sure as soon as you figure out how to post pics it will be your turn to show off.
Always like seeing pics of other peoples side arms.

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
sitting here thinking of which one to post first
i will get my son to do it next week

i am with you about the finger prints ect.

first thing they do when your arrested is fingerprint you and get you in the ''DATA BANK''

now how do they get gun owners in the 'data bank''??........offer them a concealed carry permit

i almost didn't get mine for that reason

but they already have me in the ''data bank''.......arrest years ago...class 3 weopons i own....and my FFL

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Most are already on the date bank. Most have their fingerprints on file with someone.
I carried for years without benefit of a permit---didn't have such things in those days. I resisted after the permits came out and waited about 8 years---still carrying.
Don't ask don't tell. Lots of folks still do it that way and all of them are not criminals either.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
williamlayton said:
Most are already on the date bank. Most have their fingerprints on file with someone.
I carried for years without benefit of a permit---didn't have such things in those days. I resisted after the permits came out and waited about 8 years---still carrying.
Don't ask don't tell. Lots of folks still do it that way and all of them are not criminals either.
Blessings

by definition....if you carry illegal you are a criminal

you are just as guilty of a crime as a dope smoker

no offence just the way it is

1 - 20 of 24 Posts