Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congress Moves Closer to Restoring a Key Second Amendment Freedom Thanks to the good work of millions of American gun owners and NRA members, Congress is moving closer to restoring one of our fundamental freedoms guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

Ten days ago, the House Judiciary Committee considered amendments to the “National Right-to-Carry-Reciprocity Act” (H.R. 822), which would allow any person with a valid, state-issued concealed firearm permit to exercise the right to carry a firearm in any state that permits concealed carry.

Some members of the Committee tried to weaken the bill with anti-gun amendments, and I’m happy to report that every one of them failed. The committee is expected to pass the bill soon, after which it will go before the full House for a vote.

Reat the entire article at: http://townhall.com/columnists/chris...ndment_freedom Probably never get past obummer. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it will pass the house, then theres the dim controlled senate, then the illegal kenyan. A step in the right direction though. Still wouldn't help me in commie Ill. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Administrator
26,246 Posts
I predict this is gonna be a bad not a good thing. Getting the feds involved is a bad idea. It will only be a matter of time until they decide they must step in and make the criteria unform in all states. That's likely to look a lot more like what CA has than any of the states with easy to get permits like here in Bama.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
While I can see this being a good thing, I as a guy from Indiana would still not carry in states like Ohio because I've seen enough of the videos of cops going ape*()&^ when pulling people over when they were carrying. I'd only carry in my own state if I was ever going to, but I could see this helping guys who travel between states for work and want to keep a gun in the car.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'd like to see states honor each other's licenses. A federal program would be a bad thing, but the states should honor licenses just like they do with each others' driver's licenses.

The law should be just and uniform and a state's contract honored by the other states.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
That'd be nice, but these state licenses are not all to the same standard and it's not unreasonable to think that a state who has a high standard with classes and training wouldn't count a states license where it's just a matter of filling out paperwork. I live in Indiana and to get a lifetime license all I had to do was fill out some paper work and pay $100, that's it. I can't blaim a state that looks down on my states license when that other state takes the time to produce a safety training course and makes people fire their weapons and qualify.

On the one hand I wish Indiana had a better program with some amount of training and education, but at the same time I also don't believe I should have to ask my states permission to responsibly carry a weapon to protect myself and family. I can understand both sides of the conflict.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Not all states have equal requirements for drivers' licenses, but they are legally required to honor each others' licences. Legally, I don't see how they can make much of an arguement about there being a difference, except that bearing firearms is a constitutional right and driving is not.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I like it.

Im tired of pulling over at the State Line so I can take off my weapon, unload it, and put it in the trunk in a locked case.

Drive a few more hours and reverse the procedure...ugh! As for the police, most know that Licensed Carriers are the good guys.

Silvertp

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
IMO, its a step in the right direction. There could be repercussive stat's laws passed if this goes through though. It would not suprise me to see firearms violations increase as a result. How many CPL holders truly know their own states firearm laws? Not just have read them, but know them enough to debate them and their aspects? If an infraction made in another state is severe enough to warrant a felony, look to loose your home state rights as well.

Even an unloaded, cased, locked in the trunk handgun constitutes a concealed weapon without a license in some states. Be certain, be careful.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I do believe if it passes.. something is up.
A demo congress would never and I mean never pass anything like this without an assurance it gives them some way to reciprocate.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
srussell said:
briarpatch said:
I do believe if it passes.. something is up.
A demo congress would never and I mean never pass anything like this without an assurance it gives them some way to reciprocate.
if they can give they can take away
yes, and we'll sit by and allow it to happen.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Some won't. Each man's revolution will see his home as the village green. Each man's revolution his private Armageddon. Each man's property seized. Each man labelled a criminal and enemy of the state by a corrupt court system with the help of ignorant jurors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.