Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a head's up for those windows sufferers that don't yet know about linux

windows is the defacto hacker's wet dream and their numero uno target of choice for sending out bugware and other nasties. not to mention it's also not a particularly good operating system (os), and then there's its associated stupid high price tag. but mainly, it's not a unix os, and unix is just better in every way.

apple is a unix os, but costly, very costly.

linux is a unix os and costs ..... nothing.

even the linux supplied or acquired superb apps are .... free.

better yet, linux can be installed alongside dumb windows and when ya turn on the machine you can choose which os to use. to boot, linux is fast and looks and feels just like windows. some windows apps can even load and work inside of linux. linux comes with a complete software package that includes "open office", which is exactly like windows office, and even will read/write any windows office word doc, spreadsheet, etc. just excellent software. cost? free.

i've been in the IT communications industry since personal computers became a household word, and imho linux is a godsend for the typical computer user. there are a number of different linux versions, some are commercial and have a price tag, and the two free ones i recommend are ubuntu and its modded brother linux mint. i prefer linux mint and have been using it for over a decade. highly recommended. easy to load on any machine, and no drivers or fiddling around required other than having a pc and a internet access.

"from freedom came excellence"
www.linuxmint.com

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
I run Ubuntu and love it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
What is to be gained by the average joe if anything by changing from Ubuntu to Mint? I never looked any farther than Ubuntu.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
rfd, you think you could help do an dual install , step by step if need be ?
i have partitioned my hard drive with a 175 Gb of space for linux .. now what ?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scibaer said:

the linux install will step you through it - you don't need to make a partition, the install does that and will ask the space percentage for windows and mint.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
well i went and downloaded the latest version.... mint 17.1 ( rebecca) as an ISO file and burned that to a dvd.
according to the instructions, i can run mint from there to see if i like it.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
ok im running linux mint ( rebecca ) from the dvd now.
wow, just from what ive played with in the last 15 minutes, its so nice. im impressed.
it will need some tweeking for looks ( open window sizes and whatnot )
i think i will play with it some and run it from the disc for awhile before i install it to my hard drive ( it did take some time to compile from the dvd )

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
+1 on Ubuntu. I had a dell laptop that was destined for the scrap heap before its time. With Ubuntu, it's like a brand new machine.

Scott

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Several other Linux distros to try are....Zorin, Linux Lite, Mint, and one that can run on a PC without a hard drive (Puppy Linux) All it needs is Ram.Plop the disk in the tray, boot up and your up and running. A handy, small OS for older pc's. Or , you can run it on a friends PC and never access their hard drive. Any thing you download will have to be to a flash drive though, as nothing is saved to hard drive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
CrashmanS said:
+1 on Ubuntu. I had a dell laptop that was destined for the scrap heap before its time. With Ubuntu, it's like a brand new machine.

Scott

So, I am IT ignorant....plain and simple. I have a rather old Dell laptop that has windows XP. I would love to be able to keep this laptop since it has a 17" screen and has my autocad program installed on it. Can installing Linux be as simple as a download? What happens to everything on the computer now? Will I lose anything? Can someone handhold me on this?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
yes linux is as simple as a down load

what happens to the windows based operation system you have now it up to you
you can partition your hard drive and keep it all, or wipe all out

yes, if you wipe it all out, you will lose it. or no, if you partition your hard drive, you can switch beween the two OS's

probably so, there are a few of us here that run linux and windows
also linux has a web site that walks you thru everything step by step .

·
24,482 Posts
rfd said:
Scibaer said:

the linux install will step you through it - you don't need to make a partition, the install does that and will ask the space percentage for windows and mint.

That's the way my Sony Vaio was and it wasn't that old. Locking up all the time and crashing, and it was an inventory computer it wasn't even going online. I was about to just trash it, then I put Linux on it and got rid of windows. It ran perfectly and that was 10 years ago, not a problem one after that and it's still running.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
sure you can use a hot spot . most hot spots use a wireless router to distribute the signal. no differently that having wi-fi in your home, just with out the hex key code or password

1 - 16 of 16 Posts