Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on loading 150gr Ballistic Tips in my 30-30 contender. I need to know what the COL would be? 2.550 is for the FP, and Sierra has 2.770 for their SSP bullets. Wondering what the Nosler's would be? All I find is the 150gr 30-30 round nose data, which is still 2.550". Any info would be great. It is a 21" carbine, but figured I would get more responses here. I am planning to load it with Lever Evolution powder, so any load data can be PM'd my way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
As every chamber is different here is what I did. You will need a piece of scothbrite and a magnifying glass. With an unprimmed brass I seat a bullet a little at a time untill the barrel will close on the action. I use the scothbrite and in a twisting motion remove all rifleing marks on the bullet. I slowly keep seating the bullet until there is no mark on bullet. Make take a few tries. I usually measure the bullet using a RCBS precesion mic and then seat the loaded bullet 10 thousands more.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

So I did what you said. It stops touching the rifling around 2.790" +/- .005. So 2.780" or 2.770" to be on the safe side? That would be exactly what Sierra calls out for their Single shot load data with their 150gr SP. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found what I was looking for at another site (see below). He has the same setup as me. Looks like I found my data.

"I just loaded five Remington Brass cases with 37.7 grains of Hodgdons new LVR over a Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tip. 38.5 is the max load. I shot the ammunition through a Thompson Center G2 with a 21 inch Custom Shop light weight barrel. No freebore in this barrel is an over all length of 2.789" so I seated the bullet to 2.759" giving the bullet a .030" freebore. Here is what the Chrony recorded for the five shots: 1. 2537, 2. 2530, 3. 2517, 4. 2524, 5. 2523. I don't recall getting this close of a maximum spread with any other powder with these velocities. There are no excessive pressure indicators, and case extraction was effortless.[/size] "[/size]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just remember all barrels are not the same unless they used the same reamer. Reamers are resharpened and replaced as they wear out and there maybe more than one used at the same time on different barrels. If you use someones info it may not match yours exactly. I went to an Encore in 308 to get more out of the same bullet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See above. I checked my my barrel. It touched the rifling @ 2.795, and stopped touching the lands 2.787 (I moved the die a little too much). So it is pretty close to 2.789. So seating the bullet to 2.759, will give me plenty of freebore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts